Mixing chicks???

The lady at mm said it was a good idea to keep the cornish x on broiler booster as long as i could because of their growing so quick it helps their legs.mine go through 6 gallons of water a day i put it in3 gallons.The rest is fresh plian water.

Wow! That's a lot of water! Mine are using up 1 gallon in 24 hours (I mix it this morning and it will be right about empty by the same time tomorrow). But the rate has been going up quickly - but 6 gallons per day - whoooeeee!

Well, what are you guys doing to keep down on their stink since they don't do much scratching on their own? I have been mixing their litter up a few times a day to help get the stuff to dry out and reduce stink, but it doesn't help a lot or for very long.

I have heard people using DE (Diatomaceous Earth) but it seemed like that was more for bug issues... would this also work to dry this stuff out better? Is there something else that should be used instead or with the DE?

I was reading in the Storey's Chicken book and it had two things listed in there to help dry, but I'll have to re-look it up - it just sounded odd and or maybe hard to get stuff. I'll find it and post it later.

By the way, the smell is not of amonia - it is an unpleasant soury sweet smell? Hard to explain, but it is not a strong amonia smell - I just don't like this smell. Could this be fermintation? I had read in the deep litter method that the fermintation process is ok, but I havn't found anything that describes the smell to know if this is it.

Anyway, thanks again and I'll post those drying agents later today... I hope
wink.png

our meat chickens are in a stall inside our leantw:hmmne side is open to the outside and one side opens into the the barn.I feed them some food on the floor to get them to help plus I added my extra cockrels from my egg layers.I read in a magazine you can use absorbent clay but do not use lime.I hope this helps.By the way they eat 50lbs.in 4 1/2 days.

we have 50 cornish x and around 12 cockrels(fryers)and they are going on six weeks.I have to say they are pretty big and could be eaten right now.They are having some problem with their legs.

if they are having legs probs.an they are 5wks old id go ahead an butcher them now.im betting theyll weigh 5 to 6lbs now.

we were trying to hold off till may 26 so they would be roosters.We will have to see how well they stay.I really see why they are meat chickens.The hard part is we can pet all of them.

Back
Top Bottom