Mix purebred Ameraucana with Easter Egger

llbekahll

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 6, 2009
I was wondering...If I mix a pure bred Ameraucana roo with Easter Egger hens, will thier offspring be more likely to lay blue eggs? Or would it be the same as if I mixed two Easter Eggers?

Quote:
well Idon't know but I will give it a try if I had the chance
lol.png

Yes, your chances are better if you use an Ameraucana roo. An EE roo might or might not carry the blue egg gene and is more likely to also carry any number of genes for a brownish tint, which is what makes a green egg. A purebred Ameraucana roo *should* be homozygous for the blue egg gene with few or no genes for added tint, so that's certainly your best bet for getting some blue (or bluer) eggs from the next generation.

Last year I bred an EE roo (an individual who is almost certainly homozygous for the blue egg gene and whose sisters lay nice blue eggs) to black sex link hens. The resulting EE progeny all lay green eggs - some a fairly pretty green, some a strange khaki, and one lays a nearly olive egg. I like the bright clear colours best so I put a purebred Ameraucana roo over the girls who lay the green (not khaki or olive) eggs and their girls are just starting to lay now. So far they're all laying very pretty eggs - some blue, some clear greenish blue - much prettier than the previous generation.

Quote:
I agree...and also do similar breeding. For example I cross ...

- Black Ameraucana roo x EEs to improve blue egg color. (Momo already explaned well)
- Black or Blue Ameraucana roos x BR hens to get sexlinked EEs that lay greenish eggs
- Now working on a Barred EE roo x BR hens to develop a line of barred EEs. These offspring should lay more of an olive egg, because the roo is passing greenish shell genes and the hens brown shell genes. The combination will darken the shell color toward olive, the opposite of what you're asking about.

ETA: We sell at farmers markets, it's always interesting how people respond to the egg colors. Some are amazed, never seen them. Some think the clearer, bluer shades are prettiest, some like the darker green shades best, some like the 'minty' colored ones best. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
smile.png

Last edited:
Yes, your chances are better if you use an Ameraucana roo. An EE roo might or might not carry the blue egg gene and is more likely to also carry any number of genes for a brownish tint, which is what makes a green egg. A purebred Ameraucana roo *should* be homozygous for the blue egg gene with few or no genes for added tint, so that's certainly your best bet for getting some blue (or bluer) eggs from the next generation.

Last year I bred an EE roo (an individual who is almost certainly homozygous for the blue egg gene and whose sisters lay nice blue eggs) to black sex link hens. The resulting EE progeny all lay green eggs - some a fairly pretty green, some a strange khaki, and one lays a nearly olive egg. I like the bright clear colours best so I put a purebred Ameraucana roo over the girls who lay the green (not khaki or olive) eggs and their girls are just starting to lay now. So far they're all laying very pretty eggs - some blue, some clear greenish blue - much prettier than the previous generation.
What will you get if a purebred Americana mixes with a cockoo Maran and a olive egger? So far we have these two that are about to hatch.

I was wondering...If I mix a pure bred Ameraucana roo with Easter Egger hens, will thier offspring be more likely to lay blue eggs? Or would it be the same as if I mixed two Easter Eggers?
I know this is an old thread. But is there pictures on how they look?

Back
Top Bottom