Mini Rex rabbit problem...

Arklady

Songster
13 Years
Jan 30, 2007
Kansas
Our mini rex rabbits keep eating their young. Of all the litters they were abandon or eaten, or partially eaten and left to die. Whats up with this??

Arklady

Rabbits will eat there young if they feel they are threatened. Its an evolutionary adaptation for energy conservation. A doe expends a lot of energy during a pregnancy and would rather eat her young and get the nutrition rather than letting something else get it. Make sure the area where you doe gives birth is quiet and try to give her as much privacy as possible. When I bred my rabbits I would't stick my hand in the nest box for several days. After the babies are a few days old they are usually safe from cannibalism and it is safe to look at them however this should be kept to a minimum as to not stress the doe.

If it is happening with more than one doe, then you need to change the set-up of your maternity ward, as Picco says. Something is stressing or frightening your mommas. It's terribly hard to avoid looking at the new arrivals, but they really should be left totally alone. Also try to keep them away from loud noises (TV, dogs barking, etc.).
Mini rexes are known to be very good moms, so the problem should solve itself with a little rearranging of their environment.
Good luck!

I agree with a quiet enviroment.

Are these young does? Sometimes a young doe has no idea what is going on, and the maternal instinct hasn't kicked in yet.

Also try putting a dime sized ball of raw hamburger meat in their feeder 2 days before they are due to kindle.
Sometimes they need the extra protein.

You can also get some Calf-manna pellets & give them 1 tablespoon of them daily while pregnant & while nursing. Others, give 1 tsp. daily.
I use these and my litters have increased in numbers, and my does stay in much better shape during nursing.

Jean

Back
Top Bottom