Mark individual Forums as read...

dpike

In the Brooder
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Bend, OR
One feature I like and miss on this forum is the ability to mark individual forums as read. Is that a configurable option Rob? If you need more info on what I'm talking about, let me know.

DP

Hey DP,

I think I know what you're referring to. The way this forum marks posts as read isn't as robust as some of the other forums, but from what I've read (and I've read a lot) the reason is to keep server loads down and the forum fast.

A lot of people have requested different "read post" handling features / options at the designer's forum, but he always pushes back because he's worried on how it will impact performance.

I'll keep looking into in DP and see if there is something that can be done while keeping speed up.

BTW, show me exactly what you're referring to so I know what to look for.

What I'm talking about... If you go the the main forum index page, you'll see a link to "Mark all topics as read". But once you click into one of the forums, let's say "General Discussion", there isn't a "Mark this topic as read" or "Mark this forum as read". Hope that makes sense. Sometimes I don't have time to sit down and catch up on all the forums, so I would use the "Mark this forum as read" so I would at least know what has changed in that one forum between visits.

DP

I doubt it would slow performance since they have one on the main page. And it would basically by the same SQL with less in the "WHERE" clause.. But maybe some just hasn't done it yet, or maybe I'm wierd in the way I read the forums!
big_smile.png

DP

Back
Top Bottom