Living next to chicken house in alabama

:goodpost:
Enjoy your birds first and foremost! Some people are just grumpy.

I usually don't go out of my way to upset the neighbors, but some neighbors go out of their way to get upset. I hope you make a new friend.

I can understand his concern as this is his livelihood, but I agree that his operation is more likely to be a threat to your chickens rather than the other way around. He has a fence put up, so that should help keep your birds at home. I say get your chickens, live your dream, and don't let him get to you.

I have a small flock in my backyard myself. We are supposed to be vigilant in our daily chickens chores. Meaning keep it clean, the less odor the better and never go into another owner's chicken house. As well to not allow other chicken owners to come into our yard where the chickens roam. Chicken diseases transfer quickly. And if either his flock or your flock should somehow contract bird flu, it will wipe out both flicks totally. And deter you both from having chickens again till the proper measures have been taken. That's a lot of work and time we don't want to deal with. My flock is not very clean. Nor do they get sick. I've sold to others who came into my yard and pens. I've gone to other farms and gotten chickens. No issues ever. I'm not saying it won't happen but it hasn't so far. I go to a farm swap several times in the warmer months. No one else's farm animals are squeaky clean there either. There have been no issues yet to a y of the patrons. It's your call. If you want chickens, then by all means have them. You'll probably never enter his buildings so all should be well.

I THANK YOU ALL so very much for your input. before i moved in he had installed fencing, after telling him i was having chickens so i'm pretty sure they can't get over there. I built the coop, actually a 15 x 30 aluminium building with concrete flooring about 300 feet from his fence and i plan to have a pen area for them as well as free range He also has his cow herd between my property and his houses.. i agree with Lazy, if he was that concerned with contamination he should have bought the property. I will keep trying to reach out to him to resolve the issue he has but i also feel i should follow my dream. it is not a huge operation, just small enough for me and my family. I prefer to respect everyone i meet but also know that sometimes, when it is demanded, i tend to get my dander up, therefore i requested all of your opinions before i make an enemy. I thank you all again and hope you have a wonderful day !!
patti
I would completely ignore him at every turn. I would also keep a written diary of every interaction he tries with you after you stop communications with him. If he continues the passive-aggressive intimidation tact I would have a cease and desist letter drafted.

Back
Top Bottom