Limestone instead of oyster shell

PolloGal

Songster
Aug 19, 2020
Eastern TN
Hi. I have always used in Oystershell as a calcium supplement for my girls. I just leave it out so they can take it when they need it. But I have an opportunity to use lime stone tiny tiny pieces instead at a much better price. But I want to be sure it is safe for my girls? And, would I use it the same way?

Hi. I have always used in Oystershell as a calcium supplement for my girls. I just leave it out so they can take it when they need it. But I have an opportunity to use lime stone tiny tiny pieces instead at a much better price. But I want to be sure it is safe for my girls? And, would I use it the same way?
What exactly is this product, do you have a link?

I find OS to be fairly cheap...50# for about $13 and lasts a year for 12-18 layers.

When I bought some limestone sold for chickens they never ate it, unlike stuff made from shells. (here you don't get oyster shell, but rather just shell which looks like it came off a beach. The chickens love it!)

What exactly is this product, do you have a link?

I find OS to be fairly cheap...50# for about $13 and lasts a year for 12-18 layers.
No link..sold at a local landscape supply for $2.00 a 5 gallon bucket. I have 12 layers…oyster shell is about $7.00 For 25#…and lasts me about 4 months. But…I also have turkeys now and would like to hatch more chickens… So…no, not too expensive, but just trying to cut costs where I can. So….my original concern…is limestone equivalent to the OS…and will provide the same purpose safely for the gals?

Last edited:
When I bought some limestone sold for chickens they never ate it, unlike stuff made from shells. (here you don't get oyster shell, but rather just shell which looks like it came off a beach. The chickens love it!)
So your girls didn’t like the limestone, but did use the OS? Were they used to OS? I was wondering about successfully making that switch after 2 years.

Back
Top Bottom