Let a brooding hen brood?

Henrietta

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 22, 2007
I have a hen that is definitely broody. I separated her from the nest (outside) for a few hours today, let her back in and she went straight back to the nest. I heard about hanging the cage and letting cold wind hit her but was just wondering what happens if I do nothing?

ps. I love this website. This is my dictionary/encyclopedia for my first batch of hens.

Thanks so much for any reply.
Henrietta

Henrietta ....well....that depends. Does she have fertile eggs? Do you want her to hatch them out? Some times you can break a broody hen, from what I have learned on here, it can be pretty hard. Just make sure she gets up to eat, and drink..so she doesnt fade away. Thas really about all you can do. Keep an eye on her health. Good luck with her....maybe you can get her some good eggs to hatch? Oh I WISH I had a broody hen....mine was trying to...but abandoned after 3 days.
sad.png

Thanks! Yes her eggs are fertile and no I really don't want her to hatch them out. Sounds like she gets to move out of the house. Thanks again!

I normally just let them sit in the nest. I do continue to collect all eggs, as I dont want them hatching anything out. Usually they will continue to move nest to nest looking for eggs to sit on. We play this game sometimes for a couple weeks before they finally give up.

Hi Livestock101,

How do you collect the eggs while she is sitting on them? My girl growls at me when I try to collect them and if I persist she pecks at me.

Thanks!

How do you collect the eggs while she is sitting on them? My girl growls at me when I try to collect them and if I persist she pecks at me.

Yeah, I get growled at a lot. We have this one hen that's vicious when she goes broody. She will grab right a hold of the skin on your hand and it causes me to bruise. She's the only one that's THAT mean.

At the feed store I bought a pair of thick work gloves and I put them on to collect eggs from a broody.​

Once she has laid the eggs for her clutch, she will not continue to lay eggs while broody.

After her broody spell is over, it takes about 2 weeks before she will lay another egg.

Back
Top Bottom