Leg band injury, problematic?

TinyRaptorDodos

Crowing
May 23, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
So I just snipped off leg bands from 2 of my chickens. They’ve had them on since they were young by the looks of it.. they’re 2 years old now.

Is there anything wrong with the legs now? Tendons/nerves/muscles cut off? I know it’s not likely but better safe than sorry. They’re not limping or showing discomfort but they HAVE had it for a long time so they’re probably accustomed to it

Attachments

• IMG_3247.jpeg
    IMG_3247.jpeg
    545.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3245.jpeg
    IMG_3245.jpeg
    466.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3246.jpeg
    IMG_3246.jpeg
    527.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3248.jpeg
    IMG_3248.jpeg
    544 KB · Views: 4
So I just snipped off leg bands from 2 of my chickens. They’ve had them on since they were young by the looks of it.. they’re 2 years old now.

Is there anything wrong with the legs now? Tendons/nerves/muscles cut off? I know it’s not likely but better safe than sorry. They’re not limping or showing discomfort but they HAVE had it for a long time so they’re probably accustomed to it
There is probably not anything else you can or should do. Removing the legbands was obviously a good choice.

If there were any long-term damage to the tendons/nerves/muscles, I think you would have already seen them acting strange (limping, or clumsy feet unable to perch, or something of the sort.)

I assume you will be checking all of your other chickens, and keeping an eye on any new ones in future, to avoid repeats of this.

There is probably not anything else you can or should do. Removing the legbands was obviously a good choice.

If there were any long-term damage to the tendons/nerves/muscles, I think you would have already seen them acting strange (limping, or clumsy feet unable to perch, or something of the sort.)

I assume you will be checking all of your other chickens, and keeping an eye on any new ones in future, to avoid repeats of this.
Yes! I definitely will be checking them. I feel so bad for not noticing sooner.

Thank you for the confirmation, these are two of my best layers and Rocky is one of my friendliest and most social, I would’ve hated seeing them develop any issues

Back
Top Bottom