Is something wrong with my drake's eyes?

Quacking ducks

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
May 31, 2019
Hi, I was holding my drake silver Appleyard today and noticed that his eyes look different. The area around his eye on one side is reddish/white and the other side is brown. Is something wrong with one of them? Which eye is normal? Thanks
22C41AE9-18DF-4334-9280-C25BE17E7001.jpeg
463A3BAE-DD8F-43E9-B96B-5E704339BFD6.jpeg

So, I think that the pine shavings bedding that I’ve been using for my birds could be the problem… I found an article online that said that not only is cedar shavings toxic to ducks and chickens but pine shavings are toxic too.
I just cleaned out my duck house today and when I put the ducks away tonight immediately one of my ducks started sneezing.
The last week or so I have also noticed some blood on the bedding in the duck house and than tonight there were some drops of blood on the steps in the pen…. I have checked all the ducks and chickens for any injuries and found nothing, I can’t figure out where it’s coming from, do y’all have any ideas?

Now I am remembering that I wasn’t really having many health issues with my birds until a few months ago and that was about the time I started using the pine shavings as bedding

I noticed tonight that my duck Bluebelle’s eyes are worse than Ducky’s eyes
3E99F77C-0715-46C5-A7F0-2B617D80CB64.jpeg

I have used pine shavings for years and never had any problems with it.
Have you tried rinsing their eyes out with a warm saline solution? it maybe that they are getting some dust or debris into their eyes. There are recipes online for saline for eyes, or you can buy some.

Back
Top Bottom