Is azalea toxic to chickens?

magicpigeon

Songster
9 Years
Oct 9, 2010
I have an azalea bush I just realised was poisonous. Should I get rid of it?
hmm.png

No. The chickens will probably avoid it. They are pretty good about avoiding toxins.

Here's a pretty comprehensive list of plants toxic to chickens. http://www.poultryhelp.com/toxicplants.html

I nearly freaked out when I saw this list for the first time. I had been letting my chickens free-range for almost 2 years in my yard which (according to that list) has more toxic plants than not. I calmed down when I realized that in 2 years time I had never had any poisonings and that I had seen the birds actively avoid several of the plants on the list. Chickens are smarter sometimes than we give them credit for.

Good luck.

I have four azalea bushes that my chickens hide under when they get scared. They are great places to hide from birds of prey
hide.gif
. I have noticed that they are about the only thing that my chickens won't eat, but I didn't know they were poisonous to birds

Chicken.Lytle :

Quote:
Apparently everything is poison! IT lists cabbage and kale as poison. I wonder why dihydrogen monoxide was not listed.

yuckyuck.gif

Yeah, the list is kind of ridiculous. I mean if clover was seriously detrimental to chicken health then my birds would have been dead years ago. I overseeded my lawn with clover because the birds eat so much of it.​

Cabage is poisonous to chickens? I just totally fed some to my goat and the chickens ran over and ate some. Anyone know how poisonous?

I just fed mine 2 whole heads of the stuff in the past week and they are still kicking, so I'd say it's not too poisonous.

yeah seems too much conflicting info online. I heard posionous then on another site not poisonous. the goats love it, then goats will die from it. Everyone has the exactopposite thing to say than whoever you hear from first. Its nutz!

No. The chickens will probably avoid it. They are pretty good about avoiding toxins.

Here's a pretty comprehensive list of plants toxic to chickens. http://www.poultryhelp.com/toxicplants.html

I nearly freaked out when I saw this list for the first time. I had been letting my chickens free-range for almost 2 years in my yard which (according to that list) has more toxic plants than not. I calmed down when I realized that in 2 years time I had never had any poisonings and that I had seen the birds actively avoid several of the plants on the list. Chickens are smarter sometimes than we give them credit for.

Good luck.
I just noticed this year that my chickens are jumping up and eating the azalea flowers. I don’t know how long they have been doing this, I’ve had them for 4 years. Should I be worried

Back
Top Bottom