Infected chicken: should we dispose of all the eggs?

lavendercait

In the Brooder
Jun 10, 2023
Hi everyone. I’m sorry if this is a silly question (or if this isn’t posted in the right category), but we are relatively new to chicken keeping and haven’t experienced illness/infection/injury until today.

Yesterday evening we found one of our chickens with a super deep neck wound. I won’t go into details, but it looks like it was an unfortunate accident that probably took place yesterday morning/afternoon while we were at work.

We brought her in last night, cleaned the wound, and provided her with antibiotics. She was still drinking and eating, so we had hope she would pull through, and put her in her own space by herself in the house to recover.

She seemed okay this morning, but by the time I got home from work she was severely infected and could barely breathe. We did humanely put her down tonight.

We also pulled about 20 eggs from the coop this evening that have been piling up the last 3 days.

Even though this chicken suffered an accident yesterday morning and we pulled her from the coop last night, should we be concerned about her having laid an egg while possibly being slightly infected in that 9 hour-ish window after the accident? Obviously we can’t tell which chicken laid what, so should we just toss all these eggs to be on the safe side?

Thanks in advance!

If you are concerned === when in doubt, throw it out.

That said, she was wounded/injured correct and declined to infection from a wound right?
Not likely anything was transmitted to eggs.

If you are concerned === when in doubt, throw it out.

That said, she was wounded/injured correct and declined to infection from a wound right?
Not likely anything was transmitted to eggs.
Thats correct, yes. The infection was from the wound. She was pulled from the coop 10 hours at most after the incident. The infection became extremely apparent 24 hours after isolation.

Back
Top Bottom