I own chickens for eggs and pets and had to cull a rooster what will the flavour be

He might be tuff and lets just say well glued together. I don't recommend just eating him as a chicken dinner but something like chicken and biscuits or chicken noodle soup would taste great. I hatch eggs and I get a lot of roosters and I can't keep them all so those are my favorite ways to make them.
Chicken noodle soup cooks the meat and kind of makes it softer - for the taste it really tastes the same it's just really the texture that is different.

At 24 weeks, he will be more flavorful, but most likely too chewy to cook using conventional means like BBQ'ing, broiling or frying. But, very slowly roasted, stewed down, or pressure cooked, older birds can be delicious. There's a reason the french prized old roosters for coq au vin. If you have a grinder, you can also grind up the meat and skin to make sausages.

My personal favorite way of using roosters, is to make gumbo. I make stock out of the bones and then pressure cook the thighs and breasts with some seasonings. I then shred the meat, and use it with the stock to make the gumbo.

I don't have any input on your original question but I just wanted to remind you to age the bird in the fridge (eviscerate and clean first) for 24-48 hrs so rigor mortis can pass and it won't be like eating rubber bands. If you do that and use a slow, moist cooking method like others have suggested, it should be tasty!

I don't have any input on your original question but I just wanted to remind you to age the bird in the fridge (eviscerate and clean first) for 24-48 hrs so rigor mortis can pass and it won't be like eating rubber bands. If you do that and use a slow, moist cooking method like others have suggested, it should be tasty!
He has been the fridge for 24 hours and he will probably be eaten tomorrow

If you have Instant Pot pressure cooker, cook 5-6 minutes (high pressure) with 1/2 pot of water and let it sit 30-40 minutes until the safety valve unlock. Add carrot,1/4 onion, your favorite herb seasoning, and slow cook until the way you like it. You can cook on the stove, but will take a very long time.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom