I have a chick that’s underdeveloped.

gyzmo

Chirping
Mar 10, 2024
I have an underdeveloped chick that hatched that has half of its organs not in its body yet it’s still alive. What should I do? At first I thought it was something different but I’m not sure what to do now after taking it out of the incubator.

It sounds like it has an unabsorbed yolk sac. Can you post a picture of it? The best thing to do is place the chick in a small container within the incubator. Do not try and pull or cut the sac off as it can cause the chick to bleed out or herniate and die. Depending on the size of the yolk sac, it can finish absorbing within a few hours, or it may dry up and fall off.

It sounds like it has an unabsorbed yolk sac. Can you post a picture of it? The best thing to do is place the chick in a small container within the incubator. Do not try and pull or cut the sac off as it can cause the chick to bleed out or herniate and die. Depending on the size of the yolk sac, it can finish absorbing within a few hours, or it may dry up and fall off.
I looked up more stuff and found someone’s old post that looked exactly like what happed to mine. We realized it really was insides and tried gently putting it back in but it wasn’t working at all. In the end we had to end up culling the poor guy.

Back
Top Bottom