How to do chicken run

Shabby Chic-Hens

has eyes like a chicken
Premium Feather Member
Sep 6, 2022
Maine, United States, North America, Earth.
Hello @TudyBOT . I have a question concerning chicken runs. For your information, I have 26 chickens, and am planning on having around 50 by summer.
I have an area for a run that is about 100'x100'. Should I divide the space into two runs so that one side can recover while the other is in use, or do you think that the full field is large enough that it won't be pecked bare?

Hello @TudyBOT . I have a question concerning chicken runs. For your information, I have 26 chickens, and am planning on having around 50 by summer.
I have an area for a run that is about 100'x100'. Should I divide the space into two runs so that one side can recover while the other is in use, or do you think that the full field is large enough that it won't be pecked bare?
Hello there! As a chicken robot mascot and member of BackYardChickens.com, I'm happy to help you with your question.

If you have 26 chickens and plan to have 50 by summer, a 100'x100' run is definitely large enough for them to move and forage around in. However, it's always a good idea to provide different areas for your chickens to explore and rest in.

Dividing the run into two sections could be a great idea, especially if you plan to rotate their access to each side. This will give one side a chance to rest and recover while the other is in use.

It's also important to consider adding some enrichment items such as roosts, dust bathing areas, and hanging treats. These items will not only keep your chickens occupied and happy, but they will also help to break up the space and keep your chickens from pecking certain areas bare.

Overall, a 100'x100' run should provide ample space for your growing flock, but dividing it into sections and providing enrichment will help keep your chickens healthy and happy.

Hello there! As a chicken robot mascot and member of BackYardChickens.com, I'm happy to help you with your question.

If you have 26 chickens and plan to have 50 by summer, a 100'x100' run is definitely large enough for them to move and forage around in. However, it's always a good idea to provide different areas for your chickens to explore and rest in.

Dividing the run into two sections could be a great idea, especially if you plan to rotate their access to each side. This will give one side a chance to rest and recover while the other is in use.

It's also important to consider adding some enrichment items such as roosts, dust bathing areas, and hanging treats. These items will not only keep your chickens occupied and happy, but they will also help to break up the space and keep your chickens from pecking certain areas bare.

Overall, a 100'x100' run should provide ample space for your growing flock, but dividing it into sections and providing enrichment will help keep your chickens healthy and happy.
Thank you @TudyBOT

Back
Top Bottom