How to do checkups for pigeon's health

fatimastic

Songster
Aug 26, 2020
Pakistan
As a first time pigeon owner, I want to make sure I dont tamper with their lives. So, to prevent the diseases, I will be doing weekly full checkups to see if they have any issue. Any idea what and how to perform these checkups? What symptoms amd abnormalities should I look for?

One of the best indicators of health are the droppings. Good health is indicated by dark, solid droppings. Very watery or very green droppings can be a sign of illness. Certain things can affect this, if your pigeons eat a bit of grass or other plant material this can change the color. Mine occasionally will grab a few bird cherries out of the tree nearby the loft before heading inside, and as such will have reddish purple droppings for the rest of that day.

It’s not a bad idea to handle the pigeons either to check their physical condition and check for parasites. Feather lice and mites are likely to hide in places where it’s hard for the bird to preen like the back of the head and neck or buried in the wing feathers. When you hold the pigeon you should be able to feel the keel of their breastbone in the center of their chest, this should be surrounded by muscle on both sides and not protrude overly far out.

The longer you have your birds the more you will understand their normal behaviors and be able to spot abnormalities. Birds in general are good at hiding illness. Pigeons will puff their feathers up to relax and sleep, but an unwell bird will be listless and remain puffed up.

Attachments

• B12A812D-2D3F-40C3-8E9F-3FC33789745D.jpeg
    B12A812D-2D3F-40C3-8E9F-3FC33789745D.jpeg
    60.1 KB · Views: 4
One of the best indicators of health are the droppings. Good health is indicated by dark, solid droppings. Very watery or very green droppings can be a sign of illness. Certain things can affect this, if your pigeons eat a bit of grass or other plant material this can change the color. Mine occasionally will grab a few bird cherries out of the tree nearby the loft before heading inside, and as such will have reddish purple droppings for the rest of that day.

It’s not a bad idea to handle the pigeons either to check their physical condition and check for parasites. Feather lice and mites are likely to hide in places where it’s hard for the bird to preen like the back of the head and neck or buried in the wing feathers. When you hold the pigeon you should be able to feel the keel of their breastbone in the center of their chest, this should be surrounded by muscle on both sides and not protrude overly far out.
My pigeons have been having watery poops for a month now. Sometimes they are watery with some solid green droppings in between. And if the poops are solid then they will be or dark green colour. Other than that, I have heard them sneeze a few times.

They used to have mites when they came from their old place, but I treated them for that.

Any idea why they have green droppings?

Hey so my pigeon is a rescue and she is healing from a dog attack ita been about a month and she hasnt made any sound other than the occasional sneeze is this really bad

Back
Top Bottom