How much do you pay to get chickens butchered?

I am trying to find someone in North GA area who will butcher my chickens. I only have about 8 which are ready for the slaughter. Anyone here from Georgia know of a good butcherer?
I don't, but I'll point you in a few directions. Look for deer processors, and look for Kosher or Halal slaughterhouses. I called a place that had processed a deer for me, and they also sell to the local populations that want to have their own goat slaughtered in a religously specific manner, etc...

They didn't advertise, "We do chickens for $4." I called and asked.

$6.50 per bird and a 100 bird minimum! I have to find a processing day when someone else with birds is going so I can get mine done. I swear they charge us more just to breathe here in California. Due to all the regulations, the only USDA processor that I am aware of in the state that does chickens for the public just happens to be in my county. There are some ag programs at colleges that have processing abilities but they won’t do birds for the public and I believe up in Northern California is a mobile processing plant run thru an ag extension for rent, but hours away it’s far from practical. Last year raising 25 freedom rangers, even with processing my cost was $3.39 a pound in the end. All the exempt farmers around here who raise and sell for farmers markets are super hesitant to share equipment or process birds as a “favor” for fear of getting in trouble based on their interpretations of the laws here, can’t get mad at that. Anyway, while our proultry processing costs are high, I feel like we break even with other processing costs and cheap high quality produce. We just had some beef processed and our final cost there was $4.12 a pound. Dry aged prime grade beef for less than retail costs on ground beef alone so I feel like it’s kind of a wash with the poultry.

I do them mostly myself but this year I'm taking a large batch in as I have agreed to raise for others, and it totals 300 birds. Not doing that myself!

Anyway the price here is $2 a bird if you stay and help out or $2.50 if you don't. Turkeys are $5 helping and $6 if you don't.

For the price of the propane involved and all the water I'd use up I think that is good. I'm on a low volume well so I have to keep that in mind.
Where are you located? I live near Roseburg Oregon. I have a few roosters. I need butchered.

Back
Top Bottom