How does cuckoo act in breeding

Cloverr39

Crowing
Jan 27, 2022
Latvia
I was wondering, since self blue in breeding breeding acts the same as black (the only difference being that the chicks carry lavender) How would cuckoo act? I have this silkie chick (I desperately hope she's a pullet) and I think she's a cuckoo. But from far away she looks blue. I'm not entirely sure if she's a basic cuckoo or some other variation. She's 7 weeks old.

By the time I'll need to breed her I would probably have either:
a blue roo
a black roo
a paint roo
or
a dominant white roo (with red leakage)

Most likely paint or the dominant white with red leakage. What would happen if I bred her to these colors?

These are my photos of her.
The light one is the white cockerel w/ red leakage. I think he may have 1 copy of dominant white.

Attachments

• 20220724_185315.jpg
    20220724_185315.jpg
    838.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 20220723_171124.jpg
    20220723_171124.jpg
    882 KB · Views: 20
  • 20220719_083032.jpg
    20220719_083032.jpg
    669.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 20220718_171817.jpg
    20220718_171817.jpg
    711 KB · Views: 17
  • 20220717_155059.jpg
    20220717_155059.jpg
    573.4 KB · Views: 18
Cuckoo is barring, but is messy, or smudgy depends on the bird.

The Cuckoo in question looks blue Cuckoo, so you will be working with a black diluter, plus the barring gene. Also looks like a possible cockerel.

Barring upon solid will produce more Barred birds.

So, double Barred male X Solid Female = 100% Barred offspring, males having 1 copy(Will be dark Barred like females)

Barred X Barred = 100% Barred offspring, with Double Barred Males, & single Barred females.

Sex linking: Solid Male X Barred Female = Barred Males, & Solid females. The males will hatch with a head spot.

These are alittle hint with how the barring gene behaves.

How would cuckoo act? I have this silkie chick (I desperately hope she's a pullet) and I think she's a cuckoo.
The barring gene causes white bars on the feathers (tidy or messy, depending on modifier genes that I don't understand.)

Barring is on the Z sex chromosome. Roosters have ZZ, hens have ZW. (Yes, it's backwards of the way sex chromosomes work in humans.)

A roosters has two Z sex chromosomes, so he can be single barred, double barred (=more white), or not-barred.
A hen only has one Z sex chromosome, so she can be single barred or not-barred.

A rooster gives one Z chromosome to every chick he sires.
A double-barred rooster will give barring to every chick.
A single-barred rooster will give barring to half his chicks (both genders), and not-barred to the other half (both genders).
A not-barred rooster will give not-barring to all of his chicks.

A hen gives a Z chromosome to her sons, and a W chromosome to her daughters.
So a barred hen can give barring to her sons, but she cannot give it to her daughters.
And a not-barred hen can give not-barring to her sons, but she cannot give that to her daughters either.
This is used to create one kind of sexlinks: barred mother and not-barred father produces barred sons and not-barred daughters.

But from far away she looks blue. I'm not entirely sure if she's a basic cuckoo or some other variation.
Maybe blue cuckoo, as @MysteryChicken said.
That would mean every chick gets blue or not-blue, as well as the inheritance of the barring gene.
By the time I'll need to breed her I would probably have either:
a blue roo
Possible chicks:
Black
Cuckoo (black with white barring)
Blue
Blue Cuckoo (blue with white barring, like the one you have)
Splash
Splash Cuckoo (splash with white barring-- although the barring will probably not be very obvious on a splash chicken.)

If your blue cuckoo is a hen, the cuckoo birds will be males, and the not-cuckoo birds will be females (black/blue/splash should all appear in both genders, depending on how many chicks you hatch.)

If your blue cuckoo is a single-barred male, and is bred to a blue hen, all of those chick options can appear in either gender of chick.

I don't think your blue cuckoo is a double-barred male, but if it were, and was bred to a blue hen, all chicks would have barring, so all chicks would be black cuckoo, blue cuckoo, or splash cuckoo.

a black roo
Possible chicks:
Black
Cuckoo (Black with white barring)
Blue
Blue Cuckoo (Blue with white barring)

Whether the cuckoo (barring) appears in males only, or both genders, will be the same as for blue rooster example.

a paint roo
Assuming the paint roo has black rather than some other spots, possible chicks are:
Black
Cuckoo (black with white barring)
Blue
Blue Cuckoo (blue with white barring)
Paint (white with black spots)
Blue Paint (white with blue spots)

With a cuckoo hen, the cuckoo chicks will be males and the not-cuckoo ones will be females. The paint ones will include males and females, although the males will technically have barring and the females not, but white barring on a white bird is not very obvious!

If your blue cuckoo is a single-barred male, and is bred to a paint hen, all of those chick options can appear in either gender of chick.

I don't think your blue cuckoo is a double-barred male, but if it were, and was bred to a paint hen, all chicks would have barring, so all chicks would be cuckoo, blue cuckoo, or paints with white barring (black paint or blue paint.)

a dominant white roo (with red leakage)
Dominant White turns black to white, but doesn't block red. So I don't know if that rooster has one or two copies of Dominant White.

Blue Cuckoo bred to a chicken that is pure for Dominant White will produce only white chicks, who may or may not show leakage. Some or all of the chicks will have the barring gene, but white barring on a white chicken isn't very obvious. The barring gene may matter if you later breed from those chicks.

If the Dominent White bird has only one copy of the Dominant White gene, the chicks will be the same as for the Paint example, but maybe with red leakage, and maybe looking more white instead of actually paint. (Paint is one copy of Dominant White, with noticeable amounts of black leakage. Or blue leakage, as the case may be.)

Back
Top Bottom