He's a handful - looking for some advice

Bellelise

In the Brooder
Jul 8, 2022
Hi- I had 1 of 8 pheasants hatch. He or she is now two weeks old and its a healthy little thing. I want to do whats best for the little guy. He's inside and I feel its time to move him to something more 'pheasant like'. Um... he is very attached to me and makes a lot of noise, however he calms down eventually. Im looking for a timeline of sorts - milestones to look for.
Also, I worry that he is lonely... my bunny loafs next to his pen and this seems to help. I have had some long thoughts on this but I wont go into that now. Thank-you!

I really don't like birds being alone, they're social animals and it's a big need of theirs to spend time with other birds. He is very attached to you as he doesn't have any friends, a mirror is a good way to let him think he has friends. I would recommend buying them a friend!

No rush to put them outside, the general rule for most birds is 3-5 weeks to move them outside. I brood mine outside in a shed so just slowly take away their heat at 3 weeks!

Hopefully someone can help you with milestones, good luck!

I really don't like birds being alone, they're social animals and it's a big need of theirs to spend time with other birds. He is very attached to you as he doesn't have any friends, a mirror is a good way to let him think he has friends. I would recommend buying them a friend!

No rush to put them outside, the general rule for most birds is 3-5 weeks to move them outside. I brood mine outside in a shed so just slowly take away their heat at 3 weeks!

Hopefully someone can help you with milestones, good luck!
Thanks!! Yes, that helps me alot. I'm going to try to get a little "aviary" set up in the back yard this week...a kind of 'pheasant chick summer camp'.
Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom