Help!! No feathers and damaged red skin

kaylacampbell30

In the Brooder
Jul 6, 2023
My chicken looks like she’s suffering from psoriasis! Is this possible for chickens? What is wrong with me sweet girl ☹️ it seems like she gets worse every day! I already checked for lice and mites and she doesn’t have either. I’m so confused

Attachments

• IMG_3943.jpeg
    IMG_3943.jpeg
    773.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3949.jpeg
    IMG_3949.jpeg
    605.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3945.jpeg
    IMG_3945.jpeg
    606.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3947.jpeg
    IMG_3947.jpeg
    816.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3946.jpeg
    IMG_3946.jpeg
    838.1 KB · Views: 8
Do you have a rooster?

Loss on back and shoulders/wings looks to be consistent with being mounted or mated.

Loss around vent/tail looks to be consistent with feathers being plucked, likely from another hen or two.

What do you feed, including treats?

Apply NuStock cream to the skin under the vent. For the back and wings, you may want to consider putting a saddle on her.

Skin looks o.k. just a bit dry from not being covered. Chicken skin is pretty wrinkly and can turn a bit red from exposure to the sun. Feathers will be replaced when she molts.

Do you have a rooster?

Loss on back and shoulders/wings looks to be consistent with being mounted or mated.

Loss around vent/tail looks to be consistent with feathers being plucked, likely from another hen or two.

What do you feed, including treats?

Apply NuStock cream to the skin under the vent. For the back and wings, you may want to consider putting a saddle on her.

Skin looks o.k. just a bit dry from not being covered. Chicken skin is pretty wrinkly and can turn a bit red from exposure to the sun. Feathers will be replaced when she molts.
Thank you SO much for this advice! I had a rooster and we just had to cull him a few days ago. There was a time when I caught other hens plucking other’s feathers. I guess maybe she’s just getting picked on more than others. I’ll try the NuStock cream you recommended.

Back
Top Bottom