Heavy rooster with nice tail, colorful markings etc.

keeperofthechickens

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 1, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
Finally moving out to the country again and having a small flock of chickens is the first thing on my list.

Going to order some cornish x hens for meat birds this year and then some other heavies to have around the place for egg production and breeders for some meat next year.

Was going to get some buff orps, light bramas and some barred rock hens and want a heavy rooster to be the breeder but want the prettiest one I can get also. Out of the heavy breeds, which ones get longer tail feathers?

Are Rocks the only Heavies that come in Partridge colorings?

Thanks

Is a phoenix large enough? or Yokahama? I have had smaller roos still make fertile eggs with laying hens. My chicks that hatched from barred rocks and a black sumatra are large and beautiful. I have 2 friends that tie flies that want the skins if/when something happens to the birds. They have offered to pay for the unusual feathers.

I am looking for a little meatier bird than that. My last flock I had a while ago I orderd heavy str run from MM and some rare breeds. Well I had a sumatra rooster that ended up spreading his seed more than others with my heavy set hens and those birds tended to be lighter and lanky, not much meat.

Went on feathersite and it seems the Giants seem to have a little nicer tail than the other meat birds.

I am also leaning towards a partidge cochin. Because of the nice colors.

Any thoughts?

I like the partridge as well, but my EE roos is absolutely gorgeous and fairly large (I'd say he is about 7-8# right now).

He is also very prolific.

Bob D. in FL.

Hi there! The speckled sussex is also a nice dual bird and has a lovely long tail with all different shades of color in it. He's pretty heavy about 9-10 lbs.

I pick on the heavy roo's are

Speckled Sussex 9-10lb
Buff Brahmas 12- 13 lb
Blue Laced red Wyandotte 8 - 9 lb
Golden Laced Wyandottes 8-9lb

But IMO the most best looking roos are the
rose comb brown leghorn 6- 7 lb
buttercup

Good Luck.

Thanks for the replies. What I am thinking of doing it ordering up 5 or so different roosters and then end up keeping the one or two I like best this fall. The others will end up in the freezer.

Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom