Hanging waterer... am I doing something wrong?

keljonma-

Thanks for that info. I hadn't considered the vinegar restriction, but makes sense. Do you add vinegar all the time, or only when they need a little pick-me-up?

I was going to use metal because I was told (at the feed store) that it condicts heat better so would work better in winter on a warming pad.

However, today I was at a pet store and they were having a huge sale on heated dog bowls. $6 instead of $25!! So I bought one. I figured I would simply remove the heating element from the bottom of the (plastic) dog bowl. But if it's heating a plastic dog bowl I don't know why it can't heat a plastic chicken waterer!

Thanks!!

Stacey

Maybe because they could be different types of plastic??

I would be careful and thoroughly test it before hand so you don't burn your coop down and have.....flame broiled chicken.....

Different types of plastic will have different properties... Melting point etc...

Good luck.... where's the BBQ sauce........
smile.png

Stacey, I see the name change went through okay. Olivia must be one happy girl!
wink.png

I rinse the waterers with vinegar after cleaning them. It helps ensure there is no soap residue left on the plastic and is a safe disinfectant. I use white vinegar for this.

Apple cider vinegar in the water helps prevent algae growth. For this I add 4 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar to 1 gallon water once a week.

For probiotic use, purchase the apple cider vinegar with the mother in it (Braggs is one brand). For respiratory distress I add 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar with 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper to 1 gallon water. I use this as needed, but never for longer than a week at a time. I changed it somewhat, but got this recipe from http://www.seramas.com/cider.html

It
is also said that vinegar will help the flock absorb calcium better for stronger egg shells.

Don't mix vitamins/electrolytes or antibiotics in vinegar water and don't use any of them in metal waterers.

I started out with a heated dog's dish for water. It may work for you. Unfortunately, my flock thought the electrical wiring was fascinating.
hmm.png
So I gave it to my sister for her dog, as it didn't hold enough water for my Great Pyrenees.

regards,
keljonma

if edited, probably for typos...

Last edited:
Well- the waterer can go outside in the summer (as long as it's OK for them not to have access to it at night when they are locked in the henhouse).... But I was worried that in the winter (we're in Maine!) they would not drink enough if they had to go OUTSIDE in the cold to get at the water. Other cold climate folks: tell me if I am wrong!! I'd sure rather have the waterer outside if its feasible.
Stacey
PS Olivia's presentation to the whole city council is May 30. 1st vote June 4, final vote June 18. Wish us luck!!!

Well, yesterday afternoon I moved the waterer to a cinder block and it was fine all day. Before I tucked the Ladies in for the night I refilled it... and this morning it has overspilled all over the floor again! It seems to be a problem that's happening when the water is at a certain level-- once the level is low it doesn't happen. I guess I do have a lemon after all.
hmm.png

Thanks for all you help and advice though!

Stacey,

Here in NE Ohio we can have brutal winters and this past year saw days of -20°s. I wasn't until we moved to our new home, that we found in a "facts about Ohio" book at the library that our township is the coldest spot in Ohio, with annual mean temp of 46.6°F.
tongue.png

I don't keep any waterers outdoors. However, spring, summer and autumn, I do have a couple large bowls around the farm for our Great Pyrenees; I just make sure they're in the shade. It isn't unusual for our chickens to drink out of these bowls.

In the winter we hang heat lamps over the waterers in the barn and hen house, if the temperature in the barn goes near freezing.

Here is a picture of Mary, our Columbian Wyandotte, at one of the bowls in the farmyard. The grass is so dark because the bowl is under a large pine tree. (click for larger image)

regards,
keljonma

if edited, probably for typos...

Last edited:
I disagree with the poster who said you can't hang these because all the pressure is on the little brass thingamajiggy.

These operate on the vacuum theory; it's the same theory that would allow you to invert a 5 gallon water cooler jug and place it in a cup of water, and it would not allow more water out of it once the water in the cup had reached a certain height. It is all about the water level in the trough.

Two things can cause the problem: one, you have a pinhole leak somewhere in the "bell" portion of the waterer. However, this would cause ALL the water to run out, so I don't think that's your problem. The second one is having the waterer jostled or out of level, which would affect the water level in the trough. I try to make sure the exit spot of the water is centered on the place in the rim where the water level is highest; that way, it won't keep leaking to try and fill up the trough.

Those are just my two cents...

This weekend I exchanged the old waterer and the new one is working just fine-- it definitely must have been defective. Thanks so much everyone for helping me figure this out!

Back
Top Bottom