Guinea Keets Dying

tambo1123

In the Brooder
Jan 11, 2023
Hi,
So me and my brother have been taking care of our sisters guinea keets. We have also received chicks and a duckling from her as gifts. The chicks and duckling are fine but today we have lost 9 out of 15 keets. they have been fed on game bird starter until we ran out, from then it has been chicken feed and pollard. They were all out in a coop together until we found the first two dead this morning after rain so assumed they were cold and took the chickens and duck along with the guineas inside and put into our bathroom which has a heat light. they have been warm but have lost a further 7 since. we have fed them twice since and watered them but have been hesitate to place it with them to avoid them being cold. wondering if they are malnourished/lacking something such as protein (do they need a boiled egg etc?) I’m stumped as the duckling and seven chickens are absolutely fine. Please help! I want to avoid any more deaths.

They need the game bird starter feed, the regular chick starter or chicken / duck food doesn't have the right amount of nutrients they need to survive. Babies should be kept inside until fully feathered in a brooder with fresh water, proper feed, a heating lamp or plate, and shavings. If you give them water, it has to be room temperature so the coolness or the heat doesn't shock their little bodies. They should be getting food and fresh water every day. Ducklings and chicks are totally different from guinea fowl.

Last edited:
They need the game bird starter feed, the regular chick starter /chicken or duck food doesn't have the right amount of nutrients they need to survive. Babies should be kept inside until fully feathered in a brooder with fresh water, proper feed, a heating lamp or plate, and shavings. If you give them water, it has to be room temperature so the coolness or the heat doesn't shock their little bodies. They should be getting food and fresh water every day. Ducklings and chicks are totally different from guinea fowl.
X2 guineas can't grow on chick feed, it isn't just high protein it's also higher minerals and vitamins.

Are they fully feathered?

X2 guineas can't grow on chick feed, it isn't just high protein it's also higher minerals and vitamins.

Are they fully feathered?
They are fully feathered. I fed them some hard boiled egg and lettuce last night and no further deaths.

They need the game bird starter feed, the regular chick starter or chicken / duck food doesn't have the right amount of nutrients they need to survive. Babies should be kept inside until fully feathered in a brooder with fresh water, proper feed, a heating lamp or plate, and shavings. If you give them water, it has to be room temperature so the coolness or the heat doesn't shock their little bodies. They should be getting food and fresh water every day. Ducklings and chicks are totally different from guinea fowl.
Okay, thought the feed may be a problem. I fed them hard boiled egg and lettuce last night to get some nutrients into them and no further deaths. Had no idea about the water temperature! They are already fully feathered but we moved them inside since we are experiencing very cold and wet weather.

Back
Top Bottom