Grey goose on the loose!

Quote:
No! *lol*

I get told that by lots of people that's how you do it, but they're totally wrong. The 'things' on the undercarriage are called "lobes". A good show goose will have two equally sized lobes. If they're uneven or only have one, then they'll be marked down in competition (if it matters).

The way I would tell what sex he/she is would be if you had a bunch of Tolouse, the females are smaller in comparison.

As far as vent sexing, it's the only way you can go. And it's far easier on geese since their anatomy is bigger. Actually, it's best to learn to vent sex on geese before moving onto smaller creatures.

Thank you! Great to know what lobes are, and that they cannot be used to determine sex. Guess if the goose stays for long, I'll go ahead and vent sex. I did not hear back again from the Craigslister, so maybe they just do not want it back? Who knows.

While I cannot say much for where this goose came from, it is currently anything but "alone", although is the only goose and will remain so while it is here. There are plenty of ducks and chickens here, and the goose seems to like my Pekin duck. I have 6 fenced acres, and 2 good dogs, and have never had predator problems.

Thank you for your help, I greatly appreciate it!

LOL, i just had to check this thread out. My hubby has taken to drinking Grey Goose vodka recently.
he.gif
Figured out right quick that wasn't what you were talking about! Have you had any luck with Elliot? He/she is beautiful. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom