Foamy eye

Hopefully, you can get Tylan 50 injectable at your feed store. Call and ask if they have it in stock. Most antibiotics have been removed from feed stores by the FDA this month. However, you might be able to get 99% Tylosin powder from Jedds.com to put in her water 1 tsp per gallon, or 1/4 tsp per quart for 3-5 days. Here is a link:
https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder

Hopefully, you can get Tylan 50 injectable at your feed store. Call and ask if they have it in stock. Most antibiotics have been removed from feed stores by the FDA this month. However, you might be able to get 99% Tylosin powder from Jedds.com to put in her water 1 tsp per gallon, or 1/4 tsp per quart for 3-5 days. Here is a link:
Just checked TSC, and they don’t have it in stock, but the website says it’s in store only. I’ll have to wait until tomorrow to check the smaller feed store

After three doses of neosporin to the eye yesterday, I am definitely Chickie’s least favorite person, but she looks a lot better this morning. Still a bit puffy, but no foam, her eye was open, and the two sides of her head are closer to the same size. Other eye still good. Still going to check the small feed store for Tylan. Weirdly enough, I know from experience that the only thing harder than getting neosporin on a chicken’s eyeball is getting it on a cat’s eyeball. 🤪
4BB266E7-7BCE-488F-B837-AF0B25CB7490.jpeg
E4483FF8-6018-4609-AA38-D92E8CCC37E6.jpeg
AE88580E-04B9-4AA3-8DE8-08334EC85D08.jpeg

Yes, medicating chickens is not fun. Glad that the eye is improving. You can get the Tylosin delivered online within 5 days or so. It is handy to keep around if you see another outbreak or she gets worse. Dosage is 1 tsp per gallon of water for 3-5 days.

Would you recommend letting all of the chickens have the powdered form mixed into the watering bucket, or separating her to water separately?

Continuing to see improvement. She definitely knows what’s coming and is getting progressively harder to catch. When we are through this, does anyone know if it is ok to use a mild dish soap solution and a washcloth to wash the ointment out of her feathers?
AF2B1139-4047-4EE7-88F9-93ABCBD51E8D.jpeg

Finally got my hands on some Tylan 50 and was delighted to find she would eat a small piece of bread soaked with it rather than having to force it down her throat. Next question: do you recommend giving it to the whole flock, or just her? Also, do you just give their weight your best guess, or did you actually get on a scale with them? I started with a conservative first dose just to make sure I didn’t do it wrong.

Just treat only her if she is the only bird with symptoms. Tylan 50 dosage is 0.25 ml or 1/4 ml per pound given orally 3 times a day for 3-5 days. She looks to be at least 2 pounds. You can use a kitchen food scale for weighing, or hold them, then subtract your present weight. Tylosin, the generic Tylan is available from Jedds.com online, and it goes in the water 1 tsp per gallon for 3-5 days. I would use just a small dab of the ointment in her eye. I would probably then just let it wear off the feathers eventually, as it is hard to get the vaseline or petrolatum base of ointment off.

Just treat only her if she is the only bird with symptoms. Tylan 50 dosage is 0.25 ml or 1/4 ml per pound given orally 3 times a day for 3-5 days. She looks to be at least 2 pounds. You can use a kitchen food scale for weighing, or hold them, then subtract your present weight. Tylosin, the generic Tylan is available from Jedds.com online, and it goes in the water 1 tsp per gallon for 3-5 days. I would use just a small dab of the ointment in her eye. I would probably then just let it wear off the feathers eventually, as it is hard to get the vaseline or petrolatum base of ointment off.
Thanks. I checked the post you mentioned before and got the dosage. Also read the university of Maryland extension article. Unfortunately, I noticed my roo looks like he is developing a puffy eye too, so I started him on the Tylan as well. Is this likely to reoccur often if they have MG?

Finished the last dose of Tylan this evening. Definitely improved, but the eyelid still appears to be thicker or more swollen than the other, and still is not as open as the unaffected eye which makes me wonder if it was really an injury rather than MG, and maybe there has been some extra pecking on the roost. That’s what I hope anyway. I’d love to hear your thoughts.

She is acting normal, just extra leery of me. She’s even making challenges in the pecking order, so I assume she is feeling good.
F24C541D-E184-492D-AF8D-7DFD5584A6A6.jpeg
CFF2F9F5-13A1-4EB8-B8C1-36E88AC1E437.jpeg
E8A80166-765C-45CD-8D26-E59A223C6786.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom