Daglebagel

In the Brooder
Feb 2, 2019
Fort Wayne, IN
We are getting ducklings on Tuesday and I am building them a run as they grow indoors (too cold outside for ducklings right now). I have seen a few posts on here about run flooring choices, but nothing has shown me what would be ideal exactly.

I've heard:
Non slip Anti Fatigue mats (with holes, commercial kitchen style)
Pea gravel
Sand
Dirt

Is there an ideal method to determining this? I want them to be able to dig in the dirt (I've heard they love it) but I don't want it to be super muddy all the time either. Help!!

Now dirt is going to create mud no matter what, but if you have a spot where water can not get in, they can still play in the dirt. I think that in the open areas you should have sand or try to grow grass and in an over-hang have dirt for them to play in.

My run is half dirt and half grass. I have an over-hang that has dry dirt under it 24/7. The grass controls the mud and keeps me from slipping when it rains. :D

Ok.
I live in north Texas, so my climate has relatively dry summers but very wet winters.
I originally went with half straw and half smooth gravel. The gravel worked out great for about 6 months. At first you just spray down the gravel, and the excrement just kind of washed away.
But after a while stuff was building up between and under the rocks. This wasn’t really a problem until some of the rocks were moved, and then there was a horrible rotting/decaying odor, like the bottom of a creek. And the undersides of the rocks were turning black. I began to worry about the ducks ingesting the decaying material. So, I eventually got rid of the rocks except for just around their little pond that I have in the run. Now I only have straw which sort of composts down. I do have to rake the straw everyday, but I enjoy that chore believe it or not. This compost will be used in my garden come spring so it’s not a waste product.
If you don’t have a garden and you don’t want compost, what I would suggest is using those big rubber mats that are slotted on top of a concrete slab or paver stones. The mats will be soft for their feet to prevent bumblefoot and you can hose it down no problem. You can then replace the mats when needed. It might be pricy upfront, but should work nice. The rocks I had just allowed to much area for bio matter to fester where as a slab(especially at a slight slope) wouldn’t

Back
Top Bottom