Fencing Issue/ Problem

k1d2u3t4

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 13, 2014
Good morning all!
I have a couple of issues that I am working on in my chicken yard.
My girls have a wonderful chicken coop with an enclosed run for nighttime.
They also have a very large fenced in yard that they roam in during the day. Plenty of room!

One problem I have is I have a few hens that will jump the 5 foot fence. Their wings are clipped, but they are jumping- not flying.
I have many outside predators that will attack them if they jump over the fence.

I have also experienced a fox and a fat raccoon jumping this fence as well. Not sure how that raccoon made it over!
Currently I have a few bobcats jumping this fence too.

I have a trap from the game ranger currently set for the bobcats, however I am mostly concerned with my girls jumping the fence.
My fence is 2x4 welded wire fencing.

I thought about adding another 2 feet to the top of my current fence- Would this be enough height?
I also thought about adding an electric wire above the top of my fence- but I'm afraid it might hurt my girls if they tried to jump over.

Thoughts? Anyone else experience this before?
Thank you for your help.

My house is 8 feet tall and hens still jump that height.

As for the run, can you get a net over the top? I have this stretchy nylon material that makes a good roof cover. I use it to keep baby chicks from jumping out, also for keeping the hens from being bothered.

Maybe a picture of your run will help.
20210605_090551.jpg

One electric wire at the top won't help because electric only works when the animal being deterred is grounded. But many people have found that putting a loose, floppy top on the fence keeps chickens in because they like to jump to the top, perch, and then jump down.

This is why electric poultry netting works so well -- deterring most chickens from leaving because there is nothing for them to perch on at the top.

My house is 8 feet tall and hens still jump that height.

As for the run, can you get a net over the top? I have this stretchy nylon material that makes a good roof cover. I use it to keep baby chicks from jumping out, also for keeping the hens from being bothered.

Maybe a picture of your run will help.
View attachment 2704859
Nice hen! A net unfortunately will not work. My fenced area that my hens roam is probably 1/4 acre.

One electric wire at the top won't help because electric only works when the animal being deterred is grounded. But many people have found that putting a loose, floppy top on the fence keeps chickens in because they like to jump to the top, perch, and then jump down.

This is why electric poultry netting works so well -- deterring most chickens from leaving because there is nothing for them to perch on at the top.
Good tip! Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom