Feeding laying hens flock raiser feed.

PETLOVER07

Chirping
Jun 3, 2020
Myrtle Creek, Oregon
I have searched, and haven't found out the exact answer to my question. I have a small flock of hens and a rooster. I want to hen raise some meat chickens. I have brahmas, that I will be raising for meat. Can I feed my laying hens, the 20% protein Flock Raiser to everyone else, as crumbles, for the short time of raising the meat birds? Will they be ok? Calcium is 1.3% in this feed. I have 2 broody hens now, and lots of chicks that are going to be hatching soon. How much of an effect will the extra protein be on the hens for the 3 months that they will be fed the food?

I have searched, and haven't found out the exact answer to my question. I have a small flock of hens and a rooster. I want to hen raise some meat chickens. I have brahmas, that I will be raising for meat. Can I feed my laying hens, the 20% protein Flock Raiser to everyone else, as crumbles, for the short time of raising the meat birds?
You can get a lot of different opinions on how much protein they need. Some seem to be in the camp where if they are molting, increase the protein. If they are laying, increase the protein. If they are breathing, increase the protein. Never ever decrease the protein. I'm in a different (and probably very small) group that feels they don't NEED that much protein. Not that it hurts them as long as you don't get ridiculous, just that the benefit (if any) is small.

Look at the marketing names for the different feeds. Starter and Grower and Layer are meant for specific stages of a flock that will become a laying flock. Meat bird feed is meant for chickens that will be meat. Feeds like All-Flock or Flock Raiser are meant for flocks that will be used for both. As far as I'm concerned the 20% Flock Raiser was formulated for a flock like yours.

Will they be ok? Calcium is 1.3% in this feed. I have 2 broody hens now, and lots of chicks that are going to be hatching soon. How much of an effect will the extra protein be on the hens for the 3 months that they will be fed the food?
I do something similar. When I have young chicks in the flock I feed all of them an 18% Starter-Grower. Once they are no longer young chicks I fall back to a Grower. I always offer oyster shell on the side for the hens that need the calcium for egg laying. The only affect I'd expect the extra protein to have in your hens is that the eggs could be a bit bigger. You may have to weigh the eggs to even notice the difference but there should be one. I think your flock will be fine with that 20% protein feed.

Back
Top Bottom