Duck Run w/ New Age Pet Fontana Coop

Darn ducks. Last night was #2 for being outside by themselves. They are fully feathered now (Save for a couple fluffs poking out) and dont mind the rain or the 50* weather we have been getting. Their run is 99% sealed (Nothing is 100%) so they get put in at night with the duck house door open. Plenty of straw in there and every night they get some hand fed meal worms and I sprinkle some more in the house for some foraging fun. I can get them to wearily go in, but every time I check on them at night they are just chilling outside. I guess if they are comfy they are comfy! Funny they dont use the house as much.

After too much food waste I took a look at my feeder design. I ended up cutting a flat 4" circle of PVC I had from another project, and cutting a 2" hole in that. Then mounting a 2" piece of pipe. The thought is to keep control of the avalanche of feed.
IMG_20200515_154818.jpg

It worked, but I do not like the design of not having a funnel. My next prototype I think I will try my hand at bending some sheet metal to get a more consistent flow.

Nice. I had a similar design except I used a wye with the offshoot angled up. The space above was covered with an awning, so I didn't bother putting in any kind of hood to keep rain out. It mostly worked, after I filled in the dead space at the very bottom of the wye fitting.

I also have the angled Y but needed a hood. Pros/Cons for everything! So far it is working really good though, it will stay for now. Ducks just need feed they dont care otherwise. The rest is just me playing around.

Back
Top Bottom