dual purpose

aznewbe

In the Brooder
12 Years
13 Years
Jan 25, 2007
Hello, does any have much experiance with eathing 12-16 week old dual purpose birds. I have acouple barred rocks a extra black australorp and would like to get some more new hampshire reds to try. I am keeping 2 of each breed I ordered as a test flock. I currenlty have 5 br, 2 nhr, 2 ba, 2 white jersey giants. Any input would be great.

i sell my extra chickens and use the money to buy me a steak. ha ha! if you are going to eat them it is better to eat them while they are young and not let them get too big. you might consider selling them...i have sold extras for $10 each. that sure helps pay the feed bill...cornishman.

Well, I have a little different perspective on that...if you can wait until they are 5-6 months, you will have a lot more meat on them. This type of bird will do best with moist heat preparation, such as crockpot or stews, pressure cooking, etc. I like the flavor of these birds almost better than the usual Cornish Cross meat birds - more "chickeny."
wink.png

UMMMMMMMM steak. To bad I ran out of elk steaks acouple months ago.
if you can wait until they are 5-6 months, you will have a lot more meat on them. This type of bird will do best with moist heat preparation, such as crockpot or stews, pressure cooking, etc

I was hoping to find a happy medium between more meat and tougher bird and less meat more tender. Maybe I should get some more and kill one every week from 12 to 20 weeks and see which one is the best.​

Back
Top Bottom