Does wing clipping really help tame a bird?

QuailMan6666

Songster
Mar 11, 2023
Does wing clipping a bird really help tame them? The wings do grow back. But some people say that is cruel. What is the real truth to wing clipping?

No, it doesn't tame them. It just makes them fly in circles so they can't get away from you as easily.

If you have birds in an open-top pen and they are flying out, you can trip only the last couple of inches from the outside feather of one wing. They grow back and you will have to repeat when they can fly out again.

wing clip.PNG

No, it does not. You mess with a bird mentally when you clip them. You're taking away their right to be a bird.
Two of my budgies came to me clipped, they still suffer lack of confidence from that. They no longer trust their wings as they should. Those two are also possibly my least "tame" of my five.

If you go looking you will actually be able to find a ridiculous amount of information on why it bad, us bird owner do not shy away from being vocal about the subject ;)

Thread has been cleaned up, and reopened. Please be respectful. Arguing is against the BYC rules.

Thank you to those who replied in a helpful manner. Please report any problems posts and do not respond to them.

The BYC terms and rules can be found here . Thank you.

oldhenlikesdogs

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom