Cumberland, Maryland - NO Chickens, Ducks, but OK Guinea Fowl & Quail

Munchies

Songster
10 Years
Apr 23, 2009
Cumberland, Maryland
Well, we wanted poultry and we live inside the city limits.

Laws on the books state "no rabbits, ducks, chickens, ... but this does not proclude the operation of a farm." Okay, then tried to figure what we needed to become a farm. Not even the SBA could help us.

Now you might think we would start with permits and such. We thought so too but actually you have to have a farm first. To make a long story short we had a lawyer friend look at the City Codes and recommend what we should do.

Here's what we ended up getting. Coturnix Quail. We ordered lots of eggs from two different NPIP breeders and started hatching.

Why? Well, It is the least "regulated" poultry out there and was not explicitly prohibited in the City Code.

Once we had an established flock (December bought eggs by May we had over 200 laying hens) we got all are permits and then some because Maryland Dept of Agriculture got confused about the selling quail eggs for food. They treated us just like we were selling chickens and chicken eggs.

After all the permits, we got our occupational permit from the city.

Now that we did all that we are officially a farm. Hooray!

Now we have Guinea Fowl. We currently have 15 (8 females 7 males) and lots of babies hatching every week.

So to those that think you can't have farm fresh eggs in the city... Think again and start your own farm. Just make sure you are willing to do all the paperwork.

Disclosure: I shovel a lot of bird manure every week and smile doing it.
lol.png

Last edited:
Hello!
I currently live in Cumberland, MD and hatch chickens as well.. I am interested in getting some guinea fowl or quail eggs. Your post is from so long ago and I would be surprised if you still checked this but, if you do, would you please contact me so that I could discuss hatching these as well. Or possibly purchasing eggs from you??
Thanks!

Do you live within city limits? We are looking into getting started with a few chickens but we're unsure of the city ordinance. I also read about it excluding "farms". I'm doubting that 3chickens would be considered a farm. We have a privacy fence around our backyard and was planning on putting them there. Any help with this would be appreciated.

Well, we wanted poultry and we live inside the city limits.

Laws on the books state "no rabbits, ducks, chickens, ... but this does not proclude the operation of a farm." Okay, then tried to figure what we needed to become a farm. Not even the SBA could help us.

Now you might think we would start with permits and such. We thought so too but actually you have to have a farm first. To make a long story short we had a lawyer friend look at the City Codes and recommend what we should do.

Here's what we ended up getting. Coturnix Quail. We ordered lots of eggs from two different NPIP breeders and started hatching.

Why? Well, It is the least "regulated" poultry out there and was not explicitly prohibited in the City Code.

Once we had an established flock (December bought eggs by May we had over 200 laying hens) we got all are permits and then some because Maryland Dept of Agriculture got confused about the selling quail eggs for food. They treated us just like we were selling chickens and chicken eggs.

After all the permits, we got our occupational permit from the city.

Now that we did all that we are officially a farm. Hooray!

Now we have Guinea Fowl. We currently have 15 (8 females 7 males) and lots of babies hatching every week.

So to those that think you can't have farm fresh eggs in the city... Think again and start your own farm. Just make sure you are willing to do all the paperwork.

Disclosure: I shovel a lot of bird manure every week and smile doing it.
lol.png
I am moving back to Cumberland and have quail have the laws changed? I don’t want to get rid of my birds

Back
Top Bottom