Clear mucus in chicken mouth and not eating/drinking on her own

She has started eating!! Having trouble with mucus strands to actually get it in her mouth, but she's gotten a few pieces of scratch grain. I cut up celery leaves, carrots, radishes, but NO- she only wants her scratch grains. Spoiled.

Doesn't appear to be drinking on her own yet, but I think we're past the worst of it. My vote is trich since the Baytril is obviously saving the day. I'm so happy I decided to go for it.

I also let her stretch her legs in the grass (all of them free range) and she slowly but surely walked about 20 feet and was pecking around for about 10 min, then I put her back up to save her energy.

I'm glad she's eating.
If she's getting scratch, do make sure grit is available free choice.

Yes, the crop is on the right side of the breast, if she's been eating/drinking, you should be able to feel a slight fullness there. Sometimes a good way to get your bearings is to feel of another hen or pullet of similar size and do a comparison.

Green poop can be from not eating, so hopefully that's the reason for that. The Baytril will take care of most infections.
Canker sometimes needs Metronidazole, but the Baytril may knock it out.

I think you are doing all you can. Hopefully she's taking a turn for the better. Getting outside if always a good thing for them even for a short period of time.

Please keep me posted on how she's doing.

I'm glad she's eating.
If she's getting scratch, do make sure grit is available free choice.

Yes, the crop is on the right side of the breast, if she's been eating/drinking, you should be able to feel a slight fullness there. Sometimes a good way to get your bearings is to feel of another hen or pullet of similar size and do a comparison.

Green poop can be from not eating, so hopefully that's the reason for that. The Baytril will take care of most infections.
Canker sometimes needs Metronidazole, but the Baytril may knock it out.

I think you are doing all you can. Hopefully she's taking a turn for the better. Getting outside if always a good thing for them even for a short period of time.

Please keep me posted on how she's doing.
I didn't think about the grit since she's eating so little. We free range here on the coast of NC, so have rough, sandy soil. Not pure sand. Been keeping chickens for 2 years and they definitely get all the grit they need, but letting her roam probably gave her enough grit to digest the little scratch. Glad I did that.

What is canker? A term for trich, or something else?

Force fed 30ml liquids today, she *seems* to have drank a small amount out of the Pyrex measuring cup. She was fighting tooth and nail last time I hydrated her, and *tried* to drink when I put her beak in the water. The mucus is what's stopping her, I think. Im hoping tomorrow will be the formal turning point for her.

Will update in the morning. Thanks for your help!!

Back
Top Bottom