Chinese x Embden goose crosses breeding question

QueenintheNorth

In the Brooder
Jan 10, 2022
Last spring I adopted a handful of goslings - 3 x Embden and 2 x embdens crossed with what appears to be a Chinese goose. They are absolutely GORGEOUS!

So out of the Embden trio I have two males and a female
My female embdenX is a beautiful brown with beautiful brown/Hazel eyes.
My male embdenX is a gorgeous light grey. They both have knobs/orange beaks with lots of black freckles.
I also have an older (3 years) Pilgrim female.

How would you breed them? Do I put the embdenXes together or will they all just come out brown? If I cross the female embdenX back to an embden male could I potentially get some greys like with the one boy? What about if I breed the male embdenX back with the female embden? Will that toss some greys? (Of course, I want to breed her with one of the purebreds, so I probably wouldn't do that.) Would it just be total chaotic fun to breed the Pilgrim female to the grey embden male?Or would that get ugly?

BTW - Where did the grey even come from?!

(Side note: Both are a bit knobbier now than they were in these photos.)

Attachments

• Hyacinthe resized.png
    Hyacinthe resized.png
    721.5 KB · Views: 205
  • Margaery 2021.png
    Margaery 2021.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 173
Unfortunately this is one I can't help with - Chinese geese are actually not descended from Grey Lags like the rest of the domestic breeds, so they have different color genetics. They are instead descended from the Swan goose. I really don't know what happens when you cross the color genetics like this, unfortunately.

Unfortunately this is one I can't help with - Chinese geese are actually not descended from Grey Lags like the rest of the domestic breeds, so they have different color genetics. They are instead descended from the Swan goose. I really don't know what happens when you cross the color genetics like this, unfortunately.
Thanks for your input!
I guess I'll just have to experiment and see what happens!

Last spring I adopted a handful of goslings - 3 x Embden and 2 x embdens crossed with what appears to be a Chinese goose. They are absolutely GORGEOUS!

My male embdenX is a gorgeous light grey. They both have knobs/orange beaks with lots of black freckles.

How would you breed them? Do I put the embdenXes together or will they all just come out brown? If I cross the female embdenX back to an embden male could I potentially get some greys like with the one boy? What about if I breed the male embdenX back with the female embden? Will that toss some greys? (Of course, I want to breed her with one of the purebreds, so I probably wouldn't do that.) Would it just be total chaotic fun to breed the Pilgrim female to the grey embden male?Or would that get ugly?

They are gorgeous. Good luck

I have a similar cross and you can get many variations of colors. You can’t see it in the picture but the white male has grey chaps 🤣 I have even gotten lavender looking offspring from the next generation of crosses.

Attachments

• 25E3125E-9D25-4310-B40C-2A6D6C84A4F5.jpeg
    25E3125E-9D25-4310-B40C-2A6D6C84A4F5.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 162

Back
Top Bottom