Chicks foot is dying/vet? (Pictures)

m2wandc

Crowing
15 Years
Apr 19, 2009
The woman at the farm store got a batch of chicks and one had some sort of flesh colored thing wrapped around its leg. She took it off but didn’t want to sell the chick to someone incase it died. And the store owner was going to cull it, so she asked me if I’d take it. I said sure, but the foot looks like it’s going to fall off.

I’ve been spraying it with antibacterial pain relieving spray and that’s all. It’s eating and drinking and running around with the other baby chicks.

Not sure what else can be done or if there’s any chance of saving that foot? Or helping it die off faster if that’s what’s going to happen?

And if it does lose it’s foot, does anyone have experience with a peg legged hen? Can a rooster mount it? (I have roosters in my flock)

Attachments

• IMG_0561.jpeg
    IMG_0561.jpeg
    212.5 KB · Views: 57
PS - I’ve looked at the leg with a jewelers loop and don’t see ANYTHING on the leg. I thought maybe something was still there but I don’t see anything. On the back side of that ring it’s not dented in.

It already look like it's dying. It will self amputate. It doesn't need a prosthetic, one footed birds can get along fine and have great lives.
Do you know if it will have any problems with a rooster mounting it?

Here is a photo of the underside.

I’m curious (and will eventually find out, but speculation is welcomed) where it might self amputate?

Wondering if it will save one toe or fall off where the stuff was wrapped on its leg?

Attachments

• IMG_0554.jpeg
    IMG_0554.jpeg
    284.1 KB · Views: 24

Back
Top Bottom