Chick, Coop, Chicken Plans Critique?

Great that you've done that much research.

Tho I think that coop/run is pretty small for 10 birds...
.....even if you could free range, and you're right about the hawks taking a meal right at your feet so to speak.

I highly recommend horizontal nipples over the vertical ones, right from the get go.

If I have a upside-down bottle waterer now already, should I invest in horizontal nipples or wait to upgrade? I figure I will need a watering system overhaul before next winter to deal with freezing.

Kinda sad to hear the concern over the coop size and flock number. But maybe it'll force me to stop with the chicken math. I really don't need more than ten.

Quote: I think you can switch them from vertical to horizontal nipples pretty easy,
going form open water to any nipple can be a challenge....
......and VN's can be easier for tiny chicks then HN's.
HN's are way better for heated waterers in frigid climates.

The smaller coop is a good starter coop, but you may need to downsize flock before next winter,
and if you end up really liking chickens it can be a valuable asset for growing chicks, isolating broodies and others after you build a bigger coop.

Don't sweat the details toooo much.....lots of different things can work, and you'll find what works best for you. Just stay flexible.

Last edited:
One possible option for the compost pile, depending on how it's set up and the size, is you could fence it off with temporary wire fencing and then use some sort of bird netting on top to ward off the hawks during the times you want the chickens in there. It really does depend on the predators in your area of course if that's a doable option.

Also while your coop is a little below the recommended 4 sq ft per bird (assuming 10 birds) that doesn't mean it can't work, as you're still being fairly considerate about minimum space requirements. 8 would be a better number but I'm also thinking if you end up with an accidental rooster or a chick passes away, you'd be at 8 or 9 birds anyhow.

As Percheron chick noted I'm assuming your Araucanas will actually be Easter Eggers, which is perfectly fine. EEs lay pretty well and will supply you with good sized colored eggs.

One possible option for the compost pile, depending on how it's set up and the size, is you could fence it off with temporary wire fencing and then use some sort of bird netting on top to ward off the hawks during the times you want the chickens in there.  It really does depend on the predators in your area of course if that's a doable option.

Also while your coop is a little below the recommended 4 sq ft per bird (assuming 10 birds) that doesn't mean it can't work, as you're still being fairly considerate about minimum space requirements.  8 would be a better number but I'm also thinking if you end up with an accidental rooster or a chick passes away, you'd be at 8 or 9 birds anyhow.

As Percheron chick noted I'm assuming your Araucanas will actually be Easter Eggers, which is perfectly fine.  EEs lay pretty well and will supply you with good sized colored eggs. 

Good point about the compost pile. We could certainly section it off for them to scratch. I would have to keep them out of the back section, where the material ready for garden is. Also have to look up whether they can handle ash. We dump wood ash there all winter long.

Thanks for the reminder on the Araucanas. I do remember reading they're likely to be mixed EEs. My feed store order sheet erroneously lists them as Araucanas.

I enquirer with the designer of the coop about the roosts. Space constraints per bird aside, he convinces me to try this out but change the roost setup if I find any problems. See his reply below.

I have hopes of DH setting up a chicken cam so I can see them hopping up!

Thank you for emailing. We have three-year-old Australorps, Speckled Sussex(es?), and Buff Orpingtons in our Garden Loft now, and they all do just fine with the roost setup in the henhouse and run. We've had Barred Rocks, Welsummers, and Ameraucanas in similar henhouse/roost setups as well with no problems.

Inside the henhouse, they hop up onto the roosts from the space between the roosts, which is about 13" wide. The roosts are positioned flat side up as shown in the plans. We've had no issues with the amount of space between the roosts and the wall/doors. In the run, they either hop up from the ground, or they climb a couple rungs up on the ladder, then hop to those roosts.

With 10 hens, you might even get by with a single long roost in the henhouse and another in the run. Or you could start with that and add seconds once you see whether you need them.

I keep the henhouse depth in all my designs to 3' for ease of cleaning, both inside the henhouse and below it. The floor of the henhouse on The Garden Loft is low enough that cleaning in the henhouse should still be manageable with a 4' depth, but it would make reaching into the area below the henhouse a little trickier.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
John

Good point about the compost pile. We could certainly section it off for them to scratch. I would have to keep them out of the back section, where the material ready for garden is. Also have to look up whether they can handle ash. We dump wood ash there all winter long.

Wood ash is actually very popular for dust baths so as long as it's not hot it's perfectly fine.

Back
Top Bottom