Cat with Gastroenteritis

Nemesis Prime

Chirping
Apr 17, 2024
I think my cat has gastroenteritis. I will not be able to travel to the vet tomorrow and I would appreciate all the advice I can get.
She is almost one year old, very petite, and usually an active cat. Just this morning she came with me on my walk and was scaling trees and hunting her brothers. This evening as I was bringing the cats in I noticed she was silent crying whenever she was touched. She is especially sensitive in the belly and hind quarters, touching her there makes her silent cry/purr and she can't comfortably lay down at this point, she's sitting with her head and entire body slumped forward. She's growling in frustration and asking me for help, but I don't know how to help her. She hasn't even puked or pooped but she's so sensitive about her belly all I can think it that she's got gastroenteritis. If I can get her to the vet I will, but it's looking like I won't be able to. She seems dehydrated, is there a way I can help her stay hydrated at least? Would a warm compress or some kind of massage help?

Her just this morning acting a fool.
IMG_20240424_110155760~2.jpg
IMG_20240424_105529258~2.jpg
IMG_20240424_105511323~2.jpg

She ended up drinking some water. At first she wasn't interested but after a minute she bagan intaking quite a bit.

I have no idea what to tell you. I hope she is better.
I ended up finding some antibiotics and a steroid for her, she's much better now and has started eating and drinking. She's had five doses and is already back to climbing. I don't think it was intussuception which is good since I couldn't have treated that at home. She's always had a weak immune system and I think that's why a bacterial infection in her intestinal tract affected her so badly.

She has probably ingested something new and her system is dealing with it in the best way it knows how - by making her purge and suffer - that way she'll remember to steer clear of eating whatever it was again. It might take a few days to sort but in my some 50yrs of experience keeping cats, she will be just fine.

edit .. I'm glad she is feeling better :)

Back
Top Bottom