Can anyone explain this?

KadysCoop

In the Brooder
Feb 16, 2023
IMG_0526.jpeg

My cousin has one Tom and 2 Turkey hens. All bronze heritage. I’ve hatched for him previously and all poults hatch with the same chipmunk type markings. This last hatch, this yellow/White Tom was born. It’s not albino, but to be honest I have no idea how this happened. They are now 7 weeks and the white Tom has remained slightly smaller and developing at a slower rate. Maybe a week behind his brother. Nothing concerning. Just totally confused how there poults have the same parents lol

Attachments

• IMG_0530.jpeg
    IMG_0530.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 19
View attachment 3536428
My cousin has one Tom and 2 Turkey hens. All bronze heritage. I’ve hatched for him previously and all poults hatch with the same chipmunk type markings. This last hatch, this yellow/White Tom was born. It’s not albino, but to be honest I have no idea how this happened. They are now 7 weeks and the white Tom has remained slightly smaller and developing at a slower rate. Maybe a week behind his brother. Nothing concerning. Just totally confused how there poults have the same parents lol
As Kathy pointed out, both parents have one copy of the recessive white (c) color gene. There is also a tiny possibility that it could have been a color gene mutation. Most likely both parents have a single copy of the recessive white color gene.

It is entirely possible that the size difference is due to different sex. Both toms and hens can and do display even at a young age.

With peafowl, it's:

White X White = 100% White

White X India Blue = 100% India Blue split White

India Blue split White X India Blue split White = 75% India Blue; 25% White

White X India Blue split White = 50% White; 50% India Blue

As Kathy pointed out, both parents have one copy of the recessive white (c) color gene. There is also a tiny possibility that it could have been a color gene mutation. Most likely both parents have a single copy of the recessive white color gene.

It is entirely possible that the size difference is due to different sex. Both toms and hens can and do display even at a young age.
Ok I see now. Makes so much more sense than the 117 google reasons lol.
Are you thinking the white one might be a hen? So far he’s been showing all the characteristics of a Tom but I’ve been wrong before. Time will tell. If it is a hen….I’m refusing to give them to my cousin and keeping them both for myself lmao! Thanks for the help!!!

The snood is small but the legs are big, tough call. I had one we named Mr Thanksgiving, redder head, strutting and displaying as a chick, but before it came time to butcher, we realized it was miss thanksgiving and she got a reprieve. I would say the snood size rarely lies.

Back
Top Bottom