Blue ears

BLACKCATFARM

Songster
Feb 8, 2018
Here is a pic of an Ameraucana. She has blue ears. I’ve never seen this before. I’m presuming it’s normal?

Attachments

• ECED9794-AE77-4CED-BD28-9105646F2B90.jpeg
    ECED9794-AE77-4CED-BD28-9105646F2B90.jpeg
    501.8 KB · Views: 50
There is no genetic connection to egg shell color and earlobe color. None. It's coincidence that most brown egg shell layer breeds have red earlobes and most white egg shell layer breeds have white earlobes. Most, not all. That coincidence got the myth started and it will never die. When you cross different breeds with different earlobe colors that it is a myth becomes obvious.

Red ear lobes are red because you can see the blood underneath the "membrane" that covers them. White or other color earlobes are because those put some pigment in that "membrane". That argues that yours is not a true Ameraucana since Ameraucana breed requirements are for red earlobes so she would be disqualified. It's almost certain she is an EE. As long as you are not entering her in a show it wouldn't matter to me. I like my EE's.

Thank you so much for the information. No, she will not be in any show or anything. She’s a good layer with a mischievous personality!!! Just part of the flock! Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom