Bantam cochin x silkie = laced?

lizberry81

Chirping
Nov 13, 2020
FB_IMG_1681779060262.jpg

So I'm just trying to figure this kid out - he's AMAZING.

Black skin & tons of toes so he's 1/2 silkie. Head roo is a bantam mottled cochin, but - though this kid was solid black when hatched - he appears to be LACED?! All Buddy's (the mottled cochin) kids have come out solid black with, like, TWO white feathers.

I've had other roos, but as soon as they presented themselves, they found new homes. I think I've had 2 solid white silkie roos that might be daddy, but he's smooth so I truly doubt he's silkie on both sides.

How did kiddo get laced? I don't know anything about genetics. He's just gorgeous and I'd love to hatch more of him of I knew how.

I'm not sure that it really is laced. Juvenile plumage, especially with crosses, can look very different from adult plumage. So who knows what this one will look like later on. Very pretty now, though.

I agree it has to be half Silkie. If you have Silkie hens, the Cochin could easily be the father. A white silkie father is also very possible, since Silkies tend to have hidden color genes that can throw unexpected colors in their chicks.

I would wait and see how things develop.

Back
Top Bottom