attn polk county fl chicken owners

daisysecret

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 11, 2011
I came across this tonight looking for some information my HOA gave me when I bought my house .
Which I did not find ... BUT I found this !! Is anyone know about this ? Are you involved in the process ....I want to do something to prevent them from imposing laws banning chickens . Or atleast crazy laws

..July 11th, 2011 03:24pm
Decision on farm animals coming
by Tom Palmer
By the end of this year, the County Commission will decide whether keeping farm animals in residential areas is a serious enough problem to warrant some kind of regulation.
Right now, if the neighbors’ free-range chickens, crowing roosters or smelly pigs are causing a problem, you’re out of luck. No county regulation covers it.
According to one report, a complaining resident was told recently the best response to marauding chicken would be a hatchet and a cooking pot or a frying pan … Read More »
View All Comments (0)

TAGS County Commission, Ed Smith, public policy, Sam Johnson | CATEGORY Commissioners, Planning Commission, Polk County, animal control, code enforcement

Go to every feed store in the area and see if you can leave a flier with this information on it. See if you can have people get in touch with you by email, draw up a petition, and take it to the city council. Keep getting signatures; you can turn it in a page or two at a time. Always make sure that the petition text is at the top of each page that you turn in.

Check existing law; there are likely already laws regarding nuisances, animals running at large, etc. Sometimes a few Little Old Ladies of Both Sexes decide to go to the city or county and complain about problems that could easily be resolved with existing laws. Sometimes you run into someone who thinks that farm animals run around at night conspiring to lower property values.

Good luck and keep us all posted at BYC about how this happens. You might also post this in the Where am I? Where are you? section in the appropriate Florida discussions.

Writing letters to the editor can be a useful skill; try and meet other owners and have them also write letters.

Nadja

I have never minded any animal as long as it is kept on the owners property. In my case we have neighbors who have a small residence and can barely park their cars on it who have chickens that scratch up every plant we we plant especially new young plants. They roost in our trees where they crap all over our things. The roosters in our neighborhood crow all the time. There is just no peace and quiet anymore. It is rediculous that they are not made to keep them on their own property. But when they do not then that is where people start complaining. And yes I am for keeping them out of neighborhoods if they are not going to take care of them. I do have a right too protect my property.

I find it quite weird how people worry about small animals like chickens or roosters however they don't complain about drug addicts or drug dealers in their neighborhoods here in Florida.Some people need extreme mental help here in this state and they should stay in their rat hole away from the sun cause I think the sun has cause them brain damage.

I find it quite weird how people worry about small animals like chickens or roosters however they don't complain about drug addicts or drug dealers in their neighborhoods here in Florida.Some people need extreme mental help here in this state and they should stay in their rat hole away from the sun cause I think the sun has cause them brain damage.
I so agree with this statement 100%!

Amen to that, please leave our chickens alone. We don't really care to buy eggs from the store, quality is horrible. That said they bring so much joy, I treat my chickens like family I mean they provide so much so they're spoiled.

Back
Top Bottom