All purpose sand

Amanda9311

In the Brooder
Jul 2, 2023
Recently added sand to our run. We got the all purpose green bag from Lowes. It seems to be more fine than I would like, with very little granite or rock. I do live in a humid/ hot climate. The sand seems to be holding moisture.

Would it be a good idea for me to add granite that I can find at a sand company to add more of a coarseness to it ?

Attachments

• 6A2AB458-0319-4CCA-870E-BD5D6350DA38.jpeg
    6A2AB458-0319-4CCA-870E-BD5D6350DA38.jpeg
    547.5 KB · Views: 135
Not sure adding anything will help if you live in a damp environment.
I am not a fan of sand for bedding in a run as it eventually will become saturated with pulverized poops and reek when damp.

Recently added sand to our run. We got the all purpose green bag from Lowes. It seems to be more fine than I would like, with very little granite or rock. I do live in a humid/ hot climate. The sand seems to be holding moisture.

Would it be a good idea for me to add granite that I can find at a sand company to add more of a coarseness to it ?
That sand looks too fine. I had to search high and low for coarse sand. Such a pain! Finally found coarse sand at home depot. I know that fine sand isn't good for the chickens due to too much dust. It can also impact their crop. Also, it is also going to hold in moisture as you mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom