ages and socialization

nikkimay

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 8, 2007
Pacific NW
As you know from my previous posts, we are considering adding a girl or two to our flock - we had 3 girls and lost one last weekend.

If we decide to get new girls, i'm not sure if we should get chicks or pullets... i'm tempted to get pullets, to get out of some of the work, but i'm concerned that the girls won't be as socialized and bonded to us if we don't raise them ourselves....

Any thoughts? Will a girl 2-3 months old bond to me - hop up in my lap and such like our other girls?

Thanks!

It depends on the bird.
I got Obelisk and Slifer as 2-ish month olds...They were treated like livestock, not pets. Obelisk is still sort of skittish, but that a Leghorn thang...
Slifer was a Brahma, so she was more mellow to start with and would not mind being picked up and held. She'd let you know when she was not in the mood by taking a chunk out of you.
Obelisk acts like you're coming over with dipping sauce.
Penny's not as socialized as Tom and Jerry were. I held them since they were a few days old. She doesn't mind being held, but being picked up is another story.

We decided to get another Roo. bought it from the sale a few weeks ago. I think about 2 years old... untouchable to say the least. We just kept feeding our chicks from our hand and finally this week he came and ate out of our hand. Can't pick him up yet but he is getting there. I belive if you just keep spending time with them and they haven't been abused they will come around.

Back
Top Bottom