2 week old broken leg?

Picco

Songster
12 Years
Mar 14, 2007
NY
I was moving my chicks today to tidy their brooder up a bit and I dropped my only penedesenca chick. I thought I had a good hold on her but she wiggled out and fell from about five feet high. She landed on a hardwood floor. She's limping a little now and doesn't put much weight on her left leg. She's as gangly as a turkey poult and has real long and skinny legs. Do you think she hit hard enough to break a bone or do you think its just sore? I am so mad at my self. She's (I'm praying to the chicken gods that she's a she) my only pene that hatched out of my first try. Is there anything I can do to help her at this point or do I just wait and see?

Last edited:
I know my group jumps from our arms/shoulders to the ground all the time, and so far no one has injured anything. They usually flap their wings and I think it breaks their fall.

If it was my chick, I'd give her a little time, and see if she is still limping or it looks swollen tomorrow. I'm no expert by any stretch, but I really do think as far as falls at 3wks, they are pretty resillient.

-Meghan

you need to separate and restrict the amount of movement and also be able to obseve the chick more closely...it may need splinting

She limped for a day but has made a full recovery. I guess her leg was just sore. She now runs around without any trouble. Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom