Told He Was Violeta But Looking Kinda Purple! (Color ID)

It's funny how our preconceived notions change the longer we have these wonderful birds. There was a time I didn't want any of those mixed-up ugly birds with white mixed in them, I wanted PURE birds! My how that has changed. I used to love splits until I started running out of pen space so I went with breeding 'true' until I found out that with sex-link mutations that splits produce better color.

It's funny how our preconceived notions change the longer we have these wonderful birds. There was a time I didn't want any of those mixed-up ugly birds with white mixed in them, I wanted PURE birds! My how that has changed. I used to love splits until I started running out of pen space so I went with breeding 'true' until I found out that with sex-link mutations that splits produce better color.
I was the same way, still am to a degree, splits are important when you're developing or working on a new color but I try to keep their numbers down. With my sex linked guys I do a pair of purples and an IB hen together. Just have to be careful to keep the sex linked colors in separate incubators and brooders with the split males.

The eggs I bought this summer kinda blew my mind. She listed all the potential outcomes for each egg depending on what pen they came out of... with all the splits up-ing the chances of different colors.

I don't gamble, but those eggs made me understand how gambling addictions start. 😅

Back
Top Bottom