Théo and the chickens des Sauches

The post about Blanche, the little ex-batt with nine lives.

She was the first hen we named for a simple reason : when the ex-batt's arrived as pullets, she was the only one we could tell apart because she was whiter than all except Cannelle, and smaller. But she turned out to be the last to learn her name. It took the time for her to discover her passion in life : eating ! Blanche's brain was in her belly. Once she understood we brought her treats, she would run as fast as she could when we called "Blaaaaannnnche" right from across the yard, and that would last most of her life.

March 2020, Blanche on the right and Cannelle on the left.
View attachment 3830151
She was a small thing with a strong temper. At roost time she was determined to be on the higher bar of the ladder where they roosted. For months Cannelle, Vanille and her quarreled for that place above and often they would squeeze in the three of them- they didn't understand that they could use the roost and not just the ladder, to sleep !

I'm not sure when we realised that she was going to have health issues. We quickly saw that even though she kept stuffing herself, she was smaller, always hungry and her crop was never full, but she was so lively and active this didn't seem to be a problem.
View attachment 3830153
View attachment 3830154
View attachment 3830156
View attachment 3830326
She was the craziest of the ex-batt's and we felt sometimes that she was a bit..silly. Rain, snow or hail, nothing could keep her from staying outside and more than once she got soaked wet when her friends thought better.
View attachment 3830214
The first problem she encountered was in early 2021 when she started missing feathers on her back, until she had a huge bare patch. This was when we first noticed because she was wet.
View attachment 3830152
No treatment seemed to help and she wasn't being picked on. She stayed for months without feathers and since she didn't molt like all of my ex-batts their first two winter, they didn't grow back- until one day they did, a long time later.
The next problem was a lot more serious. Like Vanille, she began having trouble to lay her daily egg. She would be egg-bound for one day, and lay two eggs the next. This happened every day for two months. We gave her calcium and began supplementing her with scrambled egg and sardine but it didn't seem to help. It really looked like she would die. She only had about an hour of respite after laying the second egg and then she would act unwell again. But somehow she pulled out of it and started laying normally again. It was then we realised that in spite of being a bit mad,she had grit and she really wanted to live.
View attachment 3830150
View attachment 3830156
View attachment 3830215
We really thought she would be one of our first ex-batt's to die with Vanille but she proved us wrong every time. And each time, as soon as she felt better, she went back to her crazy happy chicken ways.

Just before Christmas 2022, there was a hawk attack under the laurel tree and she was struggling during about a minute before we heard and chased the hawk away. All we saw was a slight superficial peck on her head and she was blinking and closing one eye. It didn't look serious, the year before Brune had been attacked in the same circumstances she had had a far deeper peck and kept her eye totally closed for two days, and she healed in a week. But it turned out differently for Blanche. It was obvious her eye hurt her, although we didn't see anything wrong with it, and she spent her mornings lying down inside the coop. After some time we realised she was loosing sight in her eye. Her personality underwent a major shift as well. Before that she had been totally unafraid and unconscious of any dangers. After the attack she became a lot more timid. Even when she was well we could see she stayed close to the coop because she wanted to be able to come back to hide. She was also afraid of the roosters and both Gaston and Théo took advantage of that, although both could be kind to her in some ways.
View attachment 3830218

During all 2023,she kept alternating phases where she was really down and moments when she was much better. She kept her love for food, so when she wouldn't eat any of the things she loved, we knew she felt really bad. We also realised she had a problem with her digestive system. She kept vomiting water but her crop always felt empty.
We called her the demon hen, because she was so mean to all the new comers. We used to joke chasing and pecking other hens what was kept her going. This turned back on her when the bigger hens Kara and Lilly managed to take over her and began bullying her ; she was utterly terrified.

We also called her the hen with nine lives because it seemed incredible she was still there and fighting. I can't tell you the number of times I thought she would die. And each time, as soon as she felt a bit better, it seemed as if nothing had ever been wrong. She focused on the present.

I think her ending was relatively peaceful, once we found out she had a lice infestation and treated it and managed to ease her sour crop. She deliberately chose to spend those last weeks with us instead of with her kin, which felt very strange, both sad and endearing. I tried many times to put her back with the most tolerant hens, or to have her see them on the other side of the mesh. The last chickens she interacted with were Gaston and Nougat, but she just didn't want to. My guess is that either she felt too weak to keep up with them, or they were treating her like she was already dead whereas we were spoiling her and giving her a lot of attention.
She kept wanting to go in our house the first days we brought her a bit inside, then we had a routine of taking her out toward 9 or ten, and she would hang out in front of the house or in the woodshed until she was too tired and we put her to bed in the crate in the coop. The highlights of her days was when we brought her tiny portions of whatever food she liked to eat at that moment, she would try to run to us and make greedy sounds, and when we put her on our knees, either my partner or me, to nap. She became the first pet chicken we have ever had during her last month.

Her days shortened progressively until we knew it was the end, she just opened her eye when my partner said goodbye before leaving for work early in the morning, and then she did not wake up until she died.

August 2022
View attachment 3830220
View attachment 3830221
October 2022
View attachment 3830217
January 2023 not long after the hawk attack. Staying in the coop with Nougat.
View attachment 3830216
View attachment 3830219
August 2023 with Nougat and Gaston
View attachment 3830335
September 2023
View attachment 3830334
View attachment 3830333
October 2023
View attachment 3830332
View attachment 3830331
December 2023
View attachment 3830330
One of the few times she managed to go down the chicken yard with the other chickens.
View attachment 3830329
Getting to the end and still longing for some yummy treats.
View attachment 3830328
View attachment 3830327
And finally crossing over. Goodbye, Blanchette, we will remain in awe of how you fought for life.
What a beautiful tribute to her :hugs

The post about Blanche, the little ex-batt with nine lives.

She was the first hen we named for a simple reason : when the ex-batt's arrived as pullets, she was the only one we could tell apart because she was whiter than all except Cannelle, and smaller. But she turned out to be the last to learn her name. It took the time for her to discover her passion in life : eating ! Blanche's brain was in her belly. Once she understood we brought her treats, she would run as fast as she could when we called "Blaaaaannnnche" right from across the yard, and that would last most of her life.

March 2020, Blanche on the right and Cannelle on the left.
View attachment 3830151
She was a small thing with a strong temper. At roost time she was determined to be on the higher bar of the ladder where they roosted. For months Cannelle, Vanille and her quarreled for that place above and often they would squeeze in the three of them- they didn't understand that they could use the roost and not just the ladder, to sleep !

I'm not sure when we realised that she was going to have health issues. We quickly saw that even though she kept stuffing herself, she was smaller, always hungry and her crop was never full, but she was so lively and active this didn't seem to be a problem.
View attachment 3830153
View attachment 3830154
View attachment 3830156
View attachment 3830326
She was the craziest of the ex-batt's and we felt sometimes that she was a bit..silly. Rain, snow or hail, nothing could keep her from staying outside and more than once she got soaked wet when her friends thought better.
View attachment 3830214
The first problem she encountered was in early 2021 when she started missing feathers on her back, until she had a huge bare patch. This was when we first noticed because she was wet.
View attachment 3830152
No treatment seemed to help and she wasn't being picked on. She stayed for months without feathers and since she didn't molt like all of my ex-batts their first two winter, they didn't grow back- until one day they did, a long time later.
The next problem was a lot more serious. Like Vanille, she began having trouble to lay her daily egg. She would be egg-bound for one day, and lay two eggs the next. This happened every day for two months. We gave her calcium and began supplementing her with scrambled egg and sardine but it didn't seem to help. It really looked like she would die. She only had about an hour of respite after laying the second egg and then she would act unwell again. But somehow she pulled out of it and started laying normally again. It was then we realised that in spite of being a bit mad,she had grit and she really wanted to live.
View attachment 3830150
View attachment 3830156
View attachment 3830215
We really thought she would be one of our first ex-batt's to die with Vanille but she proved us wrong every time. And each time, as soon as she felt better, she went back to her crazy happy chicken ways.

Just before Christmas 2022, there was a hawk attack under the laurel tree and she was struggling during about a minute before we heard and chased the hawk away. All we saw was a slight superficial peck on her head and she was blinking and closing one eye. It didn't look serious, the year before Brune had been attacked in the same circumstances she had had a far deeper peck and kept her eye totally closed for two days, and she healed in a week. But it turned out differently for Blanche. It was obvious her eye hurt her, although we didn't see anything wrong with it, and she spent her mornings lying down inside the coop. After some time we realised she was loosing sight in her eye. Her personality underwent a major shift as well. Before that she had been totally unafraid and unconscious of any dangers. After the attack she became a lot more timid. Even when she was well we could see she stayed close to the coop because she wanted to be able to come back to hide. She was also afraid of the roosters and both Gaston and Théo took advantage of that, although both could be kind to her in some ways.
View attachment 3830218

During all 2023,she kept alternating phases where she was really down and moments when she was much better. She kept her love for food, so when she wouldn't eat any of the things she loved, we knew she felt really bad. We also realised she had a problem with her digestive system. She kept vomiting water but her crop always felt empty.
We called her the demon hen, because she was so mean to all the new comers. We used to joke chasing and pecking other hens what was kept her going. This turned back on her when the bigger hens Kara and Lilly managed to take over her and began bullying her ; she was utterly terrified.

We also called her the hen with nine lives because it seemed incredible she was still there and fighting. I can't tell you the number of times I thought she would die. And each time, as soon as she felt a bit better, it seemed as if nothing had ever been wrong. She focused on the present.

I think her ending was relatively peaceful, once we found out she had a lice infestation and treated it and managed to ease her sour crop. She deliberately chose to spend those last weeks with us instead of with her kin, which felt very strange, both sad and endearing. I tried many times to put her back with the most tolerant hens, or to have her see them on the other side of the mesh. The last chickens she interacted with were Gaston and Nougat, but she just didn't want to. My guess is that either she felt too weak to keep up with them, or they were treating her like she was already dead whereas we were spoiling her and giving her a lot of attention.
She kept wanting to go in our house the first days we brought her a bit inside, then we had a routine of taking her out toward 9 or ten, and she would hang out in front of the house or in the woodshed until she was too tired and we put her to bed in the crate in the coop. The highlights of her days was when we brought her tiny portions of whatever food she liked to eat at that moment, she would try to run to us and make greedy sounds, and when we put her on our knees, either my partner or me, to nap. She became the first pet chicken we have ever had during her last month.

Her days shortened progressively until we knew it was the end, she just opened her eye when my partner said goodbye before leaving for work early in the morning, and then she did not wake up until she died.

August 2022
View attachment 3830220
View attachment 3830221
October 2022
View attachment 3830217
January 2023 not long after the hawk attack. Staying in the coop with Nougat.
View attachment 3830216
View attachment 3830219
August 2023 with Nougat and Gaston
View attachment 3830335
September 2023
View attachment 3830334
View attachment 3830333
October 2023
View attachment 3830332
View attachment 3830331
December 2023
View attachment 3830330
One of the few times she managed to go down the chicken yard with the other chickens.
View attachment 3830329
Getting to the end and still longing for some yummy treats.
View attachment 3830328
View attachment 3830327
And finally crossing over. Goodbye, Blanchette, we will remain in awe of how you fought for life.
What a lovely way to remember her.
She was a spirited little soul and lived her short life well.
🥰

Back
Top Bottom