Splayed leg/Curled toes

chicks rule

Songster
12 Years
Apr 10, 2007
SW MO
I have a guinea keet with both of these symptoms, I have put a bandaid on the legs, but, the toes are still curled. Will this correct itself? and if not what else can I do for it? Thanks

Also wanted to ask, How would I know if the leg was broken, it looks swollen at the knee joint. If not broken, what would cause the swelling.

Last edited:
For curled toes, you can make a foot splint out of a piece of cardboard, cut to the size and shape that the foot would be if the toes were extended properly. Then use bandaids or painters tape to tape the cardboard to the bottom of the foot, securing the toes in the correct position. Check every few days to see if the keet keeps its toes straight when you take the splint off.

With both a foot splint and splayed leg, you are really going to have to watch to be sure that the keet gets enough to eat and drink, doesnt fall into the waterer, etc. Poor little guy!

chel

you could also try duct tape for the toes. take a square and place the foot on it toes out straight in the correct position, then take another peice on put on top. stick it togother between and around the toes and trim off the extra.
the swelling at the knee could be a slipped tendon. to check for this feel the good knee while gently bending the leg. then do the same on the swollen leg. if the tendon has slipped you should be able to feel it as it off to the side while flexing the leg.
good luck

Thanks for the advice, I am beginning to think the problem is farther up in the thigh joint??? when I pick it up the good leg pulls up under it and the bad leg sticks out to the side??? I'm not sure it can recover the use of its leg at this point. What to do, I have it separated and in the house. It has ate and drank all I give it, it is growing so that is covered, just what to do about the leg? Could I splint it and if so how would you go about doing the whole leg, and the toes seem dead, not discolored or anything just like it has no feeling. I am stumped, help!!!!

Back
Top Bottom