Speaking of kitties... how do I...

we have three indoor/outdoor kitties...well mostly outdoor, but come in for cuddle time sometimes. Before we got our two youngest (both 2 years) our older cat spent days outside and nights in. We would just let her in at night, and feed her outside in the morning. She loves it outside as long as it's not too cold, and the younger cats love being out as well. They are superb hunters, and I don't think they would like being cooped up in the house all day at this age...maybe when they get a little older and lazier, haha. Anyway, our two females always stay right around the house...the younger one occasionally goes over to the neighbors, but the male wanders a little more. I thought him being neutered would keep him closer to the house, but he does go up the street more than the others. With your amount of property I'm sure you won't really have a problem with them wandering too far. BTW, our kittens were outside during the day at just about 4 months and did fine. Our kitties are loved pets...not feral cats, and they know where their food comes from, so they stay nearby.

The average life expectency of an outdoor cat is about 8 months. For indoor cats, it's about 15 years.

If the cats weren't outside as kittens, expect some losses. But if they must go out, train them to use a cat door by putting their food and litter box on the outside. They'll eventually figure it out.

Back
Top Bottom