Soft shell egg with calcium deposits

The Welch Chickens

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Mar 18, 2023
Rhode Island
IMG_3183.jpeg

šŸ”This soft shell egg was just found on the run floor. Itā€™s a Prairie Bluebell Egger by the looks of it (blue calcium); we have two PB Eggers and they often lay eggs with light calcium deposits.
We already got two eggs from them today, so one hen apparently laid twice.

Iā€™ve gotten one soft shell egg before, but it was not from a PB Egger. It happened a few weeks ago. Here it is:
IMG_2583.jpeg

They eat layer feed and have a constant supply of oyster shell.

Why did this happen? Should I be worried?

What do you feed, including treats?

If you know which hen, then give her extra Calcium for a week to see if the shell quality improves. If it doesn't then she may have a shell gland problem or something else going on.

You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 in the vitamin aisle of stores like Walmart, CVS, etc. Give 1 tablet daily, just pull down on her wattles, pop the tablet into the beak and let her swallow.

What do you feed, including treats?
Nutrena Nature-Wise layer feed, and a handful of scratch grains per day to call them in from free-ranging. No treats besides that for the past couple months. The scratch has never caused any problems (no obesity or anything which I check regularly for). The two Prairies are the thinnest in the flock, though.
If you know which hen, then give her extra Calcium for a week to see if the shell quality improves
I don't know exactly which hen, but it can be narrowed down to one of two hens (we have two blue egg layers). I could monitor them to see if one lays a soft shell egg again.

I do know which laid the brown soft shell a few weeks ago, though. It hasn't happened again; her eggs have always been lovely and strong shelled since.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom