Show Me Your Pallet Projects!

I imagine the real water wells were all shapes and made from wood or stone, or a combination thereof.

:lau Pretty much sure the holes were round. After that, I don't know.
https://www.newsweek.com/archaeolog...preserved-bronze-age-wooden-structure-1898522

Screenshot_20240509-205906.png

I'm thinking peas with the edible pods. Sugar snap peas or something like that. I'll have to look into that some more.
You might be able to plant peas now. They are frost tolerant.
I learned how to reuse those zip ties by slipping in a screwdriver into the zip tie head to release the tie so you can pull it out and reuse it for some other project.
:eek::thWhat a BRILLIANT idea!

:eek::thWhat a BRILLIANT idea! [Reusing zip ties by slipping a screwdriver blade into the zip tie head]

Yeah, not my idea so I can't take credit for it. I saw it on YouTube somewhere and gave it a try. It really works! Just jam a blade into the zip tie head and that loosens the grip on the tie so you can pull it out and reuse it.

Not that most of my smaller one cent zip ties need to be reused to save money, but I just like not having to waste things that could be used again. I bought a pack of really long, heavy duty zip ties for twenty cents each ($2.00 on sale for a pack of 10) last week. You bet I want to reuse them if possible.

BTW, instead of using metal wire to secure my chicken run fencing to the T-posts, I just used zip ties. As a one-man operation, I just find them easier to use. They have held up for over 4 years now. If one breaks, I just put on a new one. But I don't think I have had more than a couple of zip ties fail in the past 4 years. Good enough for a chicken run fence, probably not for fencing for larger animals.

Totally random comment here, but…. Am I the only one who at first thought this was supposed to be a “ pullet project “ page, but you miss-spelled it 😅😂

:clap That's an interesting thought. I suppose almost all my pallet projects are somehow related to pullet projects - this being a Backyard Chicken forum. Would love to hear about any pallet projects you might have going on, pullet related or not!

You might be able to plant peas now. They are frost tolerant.

I got out some pea seeds just for planting in my 2X4 "pole bean" raised beds. However, I discovered that the new beds I just had filled had been dug up pretty bad...

1715413069148.jpeg

That bed was nice and level just the day before when I filled it. I'm thinking maybe squirrels got into it? Maybe birds? We have lots of rabbits running around the yard, but the raised beds are 16 inches high and I have never seen a rabbit jump up into a bed. If anyone knows the signs of these digging holes, let me know what is doing it. Thanks.

Well, I decided I would have to build a protective topper for the raised bed before I planted the pea (or bean) seeds. I used the 2X4's that I recently salvaged from the pallet made up entirely of 2X4's and put together with Torx screws. I made a couple of 2X4 foot frames with that wood and used some old chicken wire I had from previous projects...

1715413572954.jpeg

Turned out to be quite a job using that old chicken wire. I had to stretch it out with one hand while stapling it with the other. If I had used brand new chicken wire, it would have gone much easier. But I did not want to go to town to buy new chicken wire for just a couple of small frames. So, I used what I had and got it done.

Here is a picture of the raised beds with the protective toppers on them....

1715413854935.jpeg

That chicken wire topper should protect the young seeds and plants long enough to establish themselves. After that, I don't think they will get dug out by whatever has been digging in the raised beds.

🤔 I might make a few more of those chicken wire protective toppers. It is nice that I can use a couple of those 2X4 foot toppers and use them to protect my standard sized 4X4 foot raised bed if I need it.

That chicken wire topper should protect the young seeds and plants long enough to establish themselves. After that, I don't think they will get dug out by whatever has been digging in the raised beds.
Nice!

If it is rabbits, they may nibble the new plants. :idunno But your topper should protect them long enough to get a good start, I'd think.

When I have old, slightly bent chicken wire or fence to reclaim, I lay it out on the ground or the driveway, curl side down, and walk on it to flatten it as much as possible, before working with my hands.

When we put in the new garden fence, we bought several rolls of 2x3 welded wire fence to replace the really janky looking parts. I saved cast offs, thinking they'd be good for something. Yes! I put circles of fence around my new trees and shrubs to save them from the deer. 2x3 is stiff enough to stand up, with a couple of sticks or poles woven through and pushed into the ground to anchor the circle.

Back
Top Bottom