Releasing 12 week old to flock in open field

Shiner19

Chirping
Aug 4, 2023
Hello. I have a flock of 10 almost 1 year old hens and one rooster. They free range and coop up at night. I have 4 about 12 week old pullets that have been in a large "cage" (chicken tractor of sorts) in my yard. My older flock comes into the yard often. I was wondering if it would make sense to release the pullets into the yard and let them meet the flock this way and then at some point take them to the coop? If so, will I still need to lock them all up in the coop run for a couple of days? My coop run is only 10x12. If not, then I plan to take to coop and lock up in the run a couple days. Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Ours free range at 6 weeks, weather permitting. It's a good way to get them used to each other but to live together, wouldn't work until they get closer to the same size. The 6-week old ones are now 8-week old and getting along with the 4-month old ones at least so we could maybe get them to house together in a temp coop instead of taking up two of them.

The adults come by and the little ones run as they know they'll get pecked.

I'd let them all out together and see how it goes. I wouldn't pen them all up together as that might be asking for some bullying.

12 weeks they're definitely ready to integrate and doing like you're saying, while free ranging is a good idea. Where do you have feed stations? Is your Run open for them to go back to for feed? Sorry but I'm kinda of confused on your set up. Do you have a coop house? Nest boxes are where? If there is enough roost bar room for everyone to Roost together?

i think theres lots of strategies, but personally i wouldnt just turn birds out that dont know where anything is or what 'the program' is around your place .. you have to teach them that incrementally or theyll just blunder around and be hawk bait, and wont know where and how to hide, where water is, or where to go at dusk etc .. the main flock of adults wont just accept young birds either, theyll be their own clique until theyre fully matured .. first step is acclimate them to the coop area until they know thats home and where theyre fed .. then you let them out and let them explore 'away' from the coop at their own pace .. theyll venture further day by day, but will know where home is .. dump them in the middle of a field, no, no they wont ..

Ours free range at 6 weeks, weather permitting. It's a good way to get them used to each other but to live together, wouldn't work until they get closer to the same size. The 6-week old ones are now 8-week old and getting along with the 4-month old ones at least so we could maybe get them to house together in a temp coop instead of taking up two of them.

The adults come by and the little ones run as they know they'll get pecked.

I'd let them all out together and see how it goes. I wouldn't pen them all up together as that might be asking for some bullying.
thank you for your advice

i think theres lots of strategies, but personally i wouldnt just turn birds out that dont know where anything is or what 'the program' is around your place .. you have to teach them that incrementally or theyll just blunder around and be hawk bait, and wont know where and how to hide, where water is, or where to go at dusk etc .. the main flock of adults wont just accept young birds either, theyll be their own clique until theyre fully matured .. first step is acclimate them to the coop area until they know thats home and where theyre fed .. then you let them out and let them explore 'away' from the coop at their own pace .. theyll venture further day by day, but will know where home is .. dump them in the middle of a field, no, no they wont ..
thank you - this was my original plan ... think I will go with it - move them to the fenced in coop run which is attached to the coop and keep them there until I see them regularly cooping up at night.

12 weeks they're definitely ready to integrate and doing like you're saying, while free ranging is a good idea. Where do you have feed stations? Is your Run open for them to go back to for feed? Sorry but I'm kinda of confused on your set up. Do you have a coop house? Nest boxes are where? If there is enough roost bar room for everyone to Roost together?
I have the pullets in a chicken tractor in my yard; moved them there once they were fully feathered. My chicken coop and attached run are about 140' from my house. I open the door to the run every morning and close it once my flock coops up. They can go in and out. There is an automatic door on the coop itself. I don't usually leave feed out all day - just throw a scoop for them in the morning and evening as they free range (the adults). Those in the tractor have food and water but can't currently come and go. It is a big tractor for 4 pullets. Once I put the pullets in the chicken run and keep door closed for a couple days, they will have water and food. Yes I have enough roost bar for about 16 birds so I will be close to my max once I put the new ones in. I initially had 4 roosters and 10 hens in there when I raised my first group and found good homes for 3 of the roosters.

Back
Top Bottom